My 11 year old daughter has trouble retaining information she learns at school. What can I do to help her?

Since she was 5 we have known she has trouble learning but every year we struggle with her retaining what she learns on a day to day basis. Some days she is right on and can do all of her work but others it's like she has never seen the work before and it is the same as she did the day before. She was in a 12:1 classroom for 2 years and had worked hard last year to get out of that setting. This year she is already regressing back to forgetting and not remembering simple tasks. I have always went the path of not putting her on and medication because we have had several tests and even a brain scan done in the past. All came up negative for anything wrong with her. I want her to feel successful and not over whelmed. I am open to any suggestions or ideas. I am at a loss for what to do :(

Aimee M.

Asked by Aimee M. at 5:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does ADD/ADHD/ Learning Disability show on a brain scan?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Comprehensive learning evaluation needs to be done. Also, talk to the school about setting up a meeting for an IEP. Even without a specific learning disability diagnosis, the school can test her and see what exactly her weaknesses are, and set up an IEP accordingly. Honestly, why wasn't that done at age 5? My dd has similar issues and has been on an IEP since 1st grade.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Don't wait any longer. Get your daughter evaluated and find services from the school before her whole educational career is wasted in frustration. I only wish my stepson's parents had started fighting for services when he was five, instead of waiting till he was in middle school, because now he's seventeen and a senior in high school, and still affected.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2013