Is mommy scary?

My mother brought this to my attention today when I was correcting my son about something. The thing is that she said that when I was correcting him my face was very "scarey" looking. That she would never have talked to me or my sister when we were 2. And she also said that my sons face was " afraid" looking me. I need help how do I correct myself when I feel this?

DoItAlLMaMa1113

Asked by DoItAlLMaMa1113 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Can you maybe get in front of a mirror and pretend you are correcting him and look at how you look?
    You maybe a little more serious looking than you need to be and not realize it. You maybe perfectly fine and you mom has just forgotten when she looked "scary" At two you need to be very firm or you lose the battle before you even start.
    I know mine eldest took off in a store and I know I scared him because I was that scared and that serious about how bad it was to do it.
    You pick your battles.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Are you supposed to smile when correcting the child?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I think it would be more scary if you smiled & yelled! EEEEKK!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Stay calm and be matter of fact when correcting. Remember you are teaching....they do not come into the world knowing how to act/behave. Make an effort to work on this and you'll be fine.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• First off I would like to Thank you all that have answered my question. I don't think when my mother was telling me this ,I don't think she meant it like I need to smile and say sweetly to" please stop.". My children would take over my house if I did do that.lol and that would be kinda weird looking if I did smile like that at my kids haha..

But I have never thought about that, looking more serious than what I'm suppose to. Hmm I think I will try looking in the mirror to see what he sees. And yes my mom was very scary, Matter of Fact I still don't like it when my moms mad at me. and I'm 28.... lol
    DoItAlLMaMa1113

Comment by DoItAlLMaMa1113 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2013