I did something today that I've never done before. Now, I need an excuse for school that doesn't have my dd lying.

As some of you know we got the call yesterday that my mother has cancer. You may also know its been a stressful month of first grade for my dd.

Well after our family meeting last night telling her I needed to leave for awhile to take care of grandma, dd got very emotional. I was too. So we get up this morning for school with puffy eyes and very sad. I was in the shower and decided screw school today. SCREW IT!

I made a picnic and took dd off to a state park for a day of hiking and birding. I've never let her skip before. I know it was probably wrong but I felt in my heart we needed to step away for a day.

Now I have to write the school a note. I can't say she was sick, because I don't want her to lie. I don't want to lie either. What to do...what to do. Would "personal matter " be excused? Would that even be appropriate?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 7:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes and yes, yes it was a personal matter and it will be excused. I think you did the right thing.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I would say that she was absent for personal family reason/problems. If you are questioned about it go in and explain the real situation. Or can you stop in at the school and talk privately with whoever the note would go to?
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I would just tell the truth. You took a day off because of emotional things in the family. Mom, cancer, telling the DD, getting upset. Stuff like that.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• There was a family emergency, and shew as unable to attend school on the date of _______.

You don't need to be too specific about it. If she talks to her friends about what y'all did today, so what? If the school gets their panties in a bunch, let them. You BOTH needed this mental health day.

I've let my kids skip every now and then too. Not too often, but maybe 1-2 times a year.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Just write there was a family emergency, that's it. They don't need to know any more, and I think it was great of you two to have some quiet time just you.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Thanks ladies. I felt guilty afterwards, but dang it we needed to escape and spend alone time
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I would say it was a personal family matter.

I have called my kids in for "personal reasons". I was told that as long as I didn't make a habit of it, they were fine with it. I was also told to make sure to call them in the day of or to send a note prior, if at all possible.

HUGS
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Some people are in school till they are in their mid 20's one day off to enjoy each other is a good thing. Just say she took a personal day.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• you could say she wasn't feeling well...that's not really a lie, I mean she was sad and not feeling great about you leaving
    or...personal reasons
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• Personal matters are usually excused.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2013