Is it better to eat a somewhat healthy meal at home or fast food?

When i cook I don't always cook the most heathy foods mostly cause my husband thinks it's bland if i try to cut back on the bad stuff. I don't really fry except french fries from time to time. ALWAYS drain the fat from meat and normally have a veggie to go with it all but i use butter and salt and stuff like that. Is that better the fast food still? Cause that's my goal.

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'm pretty sure a big mac meal has over 1,500 calories. One value meal at a fast food resteraunt is most of your daily calorie needs, but it's all in fat and grease. If you are frying at home, you can use olive oil which isn't as bad. Butter and salt are okay in moderation and as the previous poster said at home you would use better quality of meat. In general I would say it's better at home.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Even if your making cheeseburgers and french fries it will still be better quality meat.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Instead of butter, have you tryed olive oil. We switched. That all I use in everyday cooking. Home cooked meals are always healthier then dinning out meals. Because you can make changes to the meal to make it healthier at home.

Answer by louise2 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Fast Food will kill you. Your home cooking, as you described it, is healthier.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Are you me talking that is so weird?

Definately home cooked meals at least you know what is going in your food at fast food places yes they taste sooo good but you never know what is in there (scary). I know what you mean as far as cutting back I could cook a pot of pinto beans and put enough salt in there for flavor and it just pissed me off when I see him looking in the pot and take a taste and reach over for the salt...aaarrrggg! Talk about a war going on. I guess just do what you can and just keep reminding him...all that extra spice adds up. Or joke around with him and say "I guess I better start looking for a boyfriend" it does not seem like you care for your health. Jokingly of course....lol  GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• You shouldn't fry with olive oil because it burns at higher temps. Use canola oil. I make my own buns and fries which I bake. I use the leanest ground beef and for flavor I use spices. Some onion powder, garlic, onions and mushrooms in hte pan I cook the meat in. Yum.
    MalhotraFamily

Answer by MalhotraFamily at 2:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2009