Loose tooth question...

My middle son has been waiting forever to lose a tooth. At his last dental appointment, the dentist said that it would be sometime in the next six months for the bottom teeth. So I have been checking periodically. Last week I noticed that one of his teeth and a tiny bit loose. I reminded him to wiggle it all week. When I checked it yesterday I noticed that his adult tooth is growing in but is behind the baby tooth. The baby tooth is still tight in there and only barely moves. And the tooth next to it is starting to come up behind the baby tooth too.
Is that bad? Does he need to see a dentist and if so, what will the dentist do?

He is seven and these are his first loose teeth.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Same thing happened to my daughter over the summer. Both baby teeth finally fell out, and the adult teeth are still in the process of moving into place.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• I would continue to watch it and see if he can't wiggle it looser after a week or two. Worst case, the dentist will need to pull the baby teeth in order for the adult teeth to push through properly.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2013

• That happened to my kids too. The teeth will fall out and the big teeth move into the spot. All on their own.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Depends on how far back they are. D had one that eventually pushed the baby tooth out and two that had to be pulled because they were in the way but wouldn't come out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2013