Thinking about tubal ligation....

I'm 28 yrs old with 2 kids and one on the way I'm thinking about having tubal ligation after this delivery but not sure if I should??? Before I got pregnant with my 2nd baby I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had laparoscopy done to remove it and felt great after that procedure, no painful or heavy periods... My midwife once told me that my endometriosis hadn't come back all this years because I was on birth control pills, so my question now is if I get tubal ligation won't take any more birth control pills but my endometriosis will come back again??? Will I have painful or heavy periods????? So confused and scared don't know what to do..some advices please....

id2013

Asked by id2013 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2013 in Pregnancy

• The literature I'm finding suggests you have a risk of a return of endometriosis.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I had endometriosis so bad that I requested a tubal after my first, plus I was on meds that could possibly cause birth defects.
    My Dr refused because I had a healthy baby, so he put me on the pill. I got pregnant on the pill and suffered a lot of pain because of the endometriosis that after the birth of my second, healthy baby, I had a hysterectomy.
    But I knew I was done having kids and after years of horrible pain and menstrual cycles, it was the best thing for me.
    I don't know if having a tubal will help or not. Have you asked your Gynocologist?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I have never heard of a tubal helping endo. Your body would still be producing the estrogen that fuels the endometriosis and you will still have a period which causes the endo tissue that is outside your uterus to bleed which in turn causing the body to respond with the immune system creating pain and possible scar tissue.

You endo problems will most likely still be there after a tubal. The birth control prevents the bleeding and balances the hormones which lessen or stop the endo pain...a tubal would not do any of that, it just prevents the egg from getting to the uterus.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I would talk to your doctor to know for sure. But I would say if you required hormonal birth control to keep it gone before, a tubal wouldn't do anything for it now. You'd still need birth control for that purpose at least. You could talk to your doctor and find out if there are other options that would control the endo and give you a more permanent solution in regard to the fact that you don't want more children.

In the end, though, there are plenty of women who've taken the pill after a tubal (I did at one point), to help regulate periods, treat PMDD, ease cramps, etc. It feels a little redundant, but to be honest, it's not that horrible. With the tubal, you have the security of knowing that (barring any major issues), you won't get pregnant, so taking the pill is no different than popping an aspirin every day - you do it because you need it, but if you forget it's not the end of the world.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2013