Ay caramba!!!!!!

this has not been a good week for us. my middle daughter was out of school wednesday & yesterday with a little cold (the only reason i kept her home was her fever, which wasn't very high, but it's only pre-k) she's fine now but today i found a lot of nits in my oldest's hair. i guess the tea tree oil shampoo ive been using the last couple of weeks is shit. anyway i kept her home because, though i didn't find any live bugs, there has to be some in there with the amount of nits i saw. i figured it would be best to keep her home today and treat her, which ive already started. so i decide to check my middle daughter's hair and only found a couple of nits. but again, there has to be bugs if there are nits, since i havent treated them beyond the tea tree oil shampoo. so, since there are only a couple of nits in her hair, and considering she already missed two days, i dont know if i should keep her home and treat her or send her (it's only 3 hours- she'd be home by 12:30) but it's also friday, so maybe it would be best to keep her home, treat everyone, and by monday they'll be good to go. WWYD?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'd keep her home and do the treatment. Man you have such an issue with this! I hope you can get ahead of it somehow this time :(
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• i knoooow :( atleast i always seem to catch it early on. i just don't know how to keep them away!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I'm not sure either. The tea tree oil should have really helped. I know you've treated your house so I can only imagine how frustrating it is
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Also, if I could make a suggestion....don't use tea tree oil shampoo. Go to the store and pick up some good quality oil and either add a few drops to water and use as a final rinse, or put it in a spray bottle and use when you comb out their hair every day. Maybe the shampoo doesn't have enough oil in it to be effective
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• the only thing i can think of is i must be missing nits when i treat them. and even with the tea tree oil they must be hatching. from now on im going to send them to school with greasy oily hair in a tight braid or something lol!!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• it's called Lice Freee! Everyday or something. it's purpose is suppose to keep them away. maybe it's a crappy brand or something- ill try what you suggested. ill try almost anything! lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You do know you have to wash all there bedding?  Best way to prevent head lice is to not share combs, brushes or any hair stuff with others.  That includes family members  That means hats too.

Answer by louise2 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• yeah i wash all the bedding, and everyone has their own brushes and combs. they don't wear hats
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I think it must be rampant at your school, maybe you just missed some of the nits? I think it is a good sign that there were no bugs, now what is over at Dad's house when they go spend the night?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• it probably is rampant at her school, but i think it also might be me overlooking some of the nits. i think there are bugs but they are hiding well. last time i didnt see any bugs until i rinsed their hair of the stuff i use to treat them, and then i found the bugs, but there were only 2 or 3 of them. as far as their dad's, last time they came home and i found it in both my younger girls' hair i told his mom to make sure she washes everything and she does. and i asked my kids and they said they each have their own brush over there.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2013