Okay SO of my own He ran away question-

If someone has not had contact with the person for x # of years,  the IRS has no record of employment, could you declare someone dead? Could you file a missing person report? Could you claim abandonment?

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Yes to abandonment

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Of course I don't know Passport lady's circumstances, but if my DH didn't come home one day, I would most likely file a missing person's report, now say we were divorced, he didn't show up for visitation, job, was no longer at his home, could you as his ex file a MP report?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Yes to abandonment and missing person report, no on declaring them dead. There actually has to be an investigation and some reason to suspect that they may have met with foul play. Otherwise it would just go on as a missing person report until they had more conclusive evidence to the contrary.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You can file a missing person report about anybody. How much attention it will get varies a lot, but the person only has to be absent for 24 hours if it's an adult, less than that if it's a kid.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You, as an ex, could file a missing person report if you knew he wasn't showing up at any of the places he should (visitation, job, home), and after a certain amount of time, you could file for abandonment in regard to the children. But you, as an ex, couldn't have them declared dead, I don't think. I'm fairly certain that has to be done by a family member (mom, dad, brother, sister, adult child, etc.), not a former family member.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Declaring the person dead might be hard. But the other 2 could be done

Answer by louise2 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• My ex vanished 10+ years ago, but as long as his child support comes in I don't care where he is. If it stops, I still don't care where he is. I was told I can't claim abandonment because my ex is actively paying child support.

As for the rest, I would think that there would be an investigation to prove they're not just laying low somewhere. If they're homeless, they will fall out of the system after a certain amount of time.

If they're dead then they can search the morgues, etc for unidentified people, and then a family member would have to identify/claim the body.

Your best bet would be to contact the authorities, tell them the situation, and then take the correct steps to find out what actually happened.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• My uncle fell off the radar for 15 years.
    My grandma tried to make out a missing persons report,and was told if she wasn't trying to get ahold of him for a debt situation,he had the right to disappear,since he was an adult. She was told that she was free to hire a PI,or to make calls and inquiries to hospitals and morgues,but they were not going to "waste" manpower to find him for her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• File a missing person report if you'd like, but you can most definitely declare abandonment.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You could claim abandonment not sure of how many years.
    Death by assumption is 7 years in most states.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2013