My poor cactus...

Pretty sure it's dying! It's at my work, and I water it when I get here on Monday mornings (if the soil is really dry) and when I leave on Fridays. Problem is, my desk doesn't get much sun. Actually, it gets no sun. I've started putting it in the window that gets a lot of sun when I leave, but it's not doing much good! The "main" cactus in the plant is turning brown and just looks... sad. But it's recently sprouted a new little bulb that's nice and green!

Anyone with a green thumb who can help me out here?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Does it have.. too much water? since it's a desert plant and all maybe it has too much water?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I've had a cactus in my windowsill for 20 years. I only water it maybe every other month at most. It's totally neglected & does great! Maybe you are loving your cactus too much :) Less water means more love!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I'm a natural born cactus killer, always have been. I don't know why; I can grow other plants, but a cactus will give up the ghost just from being in the same room with me for an extended period of time. Here's a bump--I hope someone else can help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• http://www.ehow.com/info_8214666_proper-water-cactus-house-plants.html

Most commercial potting soils are too rich in fresh organic matter for these plants. The most important factor in choosing a planting medium is that it allows food, water and air to get to the roots and is porous enough to let water drain through. Many growers use a mix of a low peat planter mix and pumice (50/50). Sand, small pebbles and vermiculite are ingredients added by many successful growers and hobbyists.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Wish I knew. Plants come to my house to die. I can even kill an artificial plant. Cacti by nature don't require much water. Maybe you're giving it too much?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• does it need to be repotted? I don't know how you would do that, but that's just a thought.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• They like a lot of sun . So your desk is not a good place for it. Watering it daily is not good. I water my cactus maybe once every 2 weeks. They are in the window. And I neglect the hell out of them. They are growing good. About once a year I soak/water them really good. You need to find a plant that need less sun.

Answer by louise2 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2013

• :(. New soil with rocks on top. More sun. Less water.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• It may need to be repotted . Get a news paper and fold it lengthwise several times this will give you a band. This how you will lift and move the cactus without getting stuck.
    If you want a decorative pot (glazed I would suggest getting one big enough to set a clay pot inside. Cacti do NOT like wet and will get a mushy look and basically rot from the inside.
    Use cacti mix, not potting soil and be sure you put drainage rock in the bottom of the pot. If the main is getting mushy you may try to save it or just go with the small shoot. If you do that you will need slightly different instructions.
    If it is not mushy, take it home with you today and do not set it in direct sun but in a place that gets a good breeze.

I do not know how you are watering but cacti thrive with neglect. You don't need to water that much or if you are compelled to do so get a tablespoon and use one Tbs. each of those times.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You are overwatering! Cacti require very little water (think desert ....)
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2013