I have decided to no longer do my dog rescue...

Here's how it all started....my dad loves the red bone hound I got (you know the one with all the puppies, I named Mama), well he asked if he could keep her, she pretty much follows him around anyway. Well I said ok, and he took her and Heifer b/c they are buddies. So that put me down to 6 dogs. Well, sadly, Lucy was attacked by something, I think a bob cat b/c they are very common around here. I let all the dogs out super early Monday morning, did some errands, came back and found her mangled, the vet hurried to my house and put her to sleep. Well, the shelter brought me 2 basset hound puppies that were found in the dumpster. One is fully functioning and adorable, my daughter wanted to keep him so I agreed, as for the other, she's the last dog I'm getting for a while. She is my new baby and will be living in my house with me, forever. She is blind, and that is why I am quitting the rescue. This is my first time with a blind dog and I know she is going to need A LOT of attention and care so, all my extra time is now devoted to her. I just felt the need to inform all of you about this. Have a great day! (oh so I'm at 5 dogs now, not 8)

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2013 in Pets

• You must really love dogs. :p

I have two cats and it is hard enough.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• What a wonderful gift you are giving them by giving them a home. Sad and pathetic that someone put them in a dumpster. Humans can be so cruel.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• oh I do Staci. It's hard for me to quit b/c it's something I love, but this baby needs me, and I couldn't re-home her without worrying that she isn't being taken care of properly.
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I think you have done a great deal of wonderful work. I have a rescue that was abused and blind in one eye. She still has some issues but is mostly a normal happy dog. Even if you reach to pet her on her blind side she does not bite, which is kind of normal because that is startling to them. I think this dog and you will both be blessed
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• she has done great, I told my kids that if they want to love on her, that's fine but talk to her first so she knows they're there. She is so loving, I can't believe someone would do this! I have pics of her and her brother. Paisley and Turbo. :) idk why this one is sideways but it's Paisley, the blind one.and here is Turbo

josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Awww!! They're blessed to have you :) Thank you for being such a good pet owner.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Thanks for th pictures. They are so cute
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• STOP posting pictures of such cuteness! I can hardly stand it!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Just a suggestion, but often when there's a blind dog in a group, one of the other dogs will sort of buddy up to it and help it get around. Watch for that behavior so you can encourage it if you want to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• You are brave having 5 dogs. I find one to be a handful. Hope the blind pup adjusts well.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2013