In america would they have taken him away?

after reading all I could get my hands on about the 2 year old who just had gastric bypass I cannot help but think in the US the doctors would have had custody removed and the parents would have taken years of nutrition and parenting classes while he slowly got healthy on a diet of skim milk and poached chicken breasts in a foster home.

where do you stand on this? was it medically ethical?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• From reading the article he has some sort of genetic disorder that causes him to be constantly hungry. Given those circumstances I'm not so sure that being removed from his parents would have been the best course of action.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I have no idea what you are talking about
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• NO prader willi. no hormonal or genetic or congenital issues whatsoever. Just morbid obesity and things that go w/ it like sleep apnea

here's the real actual medical journal report, not opionated news stories

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2210261213002599

hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426722/Saudi-Arabian-boys-gastric-bypass-surgery-worlds-youngest-2-years-old.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426722/Saudi-Arabian-boys-gastric-bypass-surgery-worlds-youngest-2-years-old.html

been on cafemom 4+ years and still cannot make a clicky......................  wtf.

I

hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• it says that they dieted, modified and all that so where are the parents at fault here? Just because there is no obesity to be seen in family (it could stem further back in the family and not be known) the parents were concerned at age 6 months, sounds like to me they cared so why have him taken away?

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I dead the 2nd article. Based on tat I think social service would have been called long before this. Depending on their findings and whether the parents will work with them and doctors, maybe. At the point of the surgery, I would say probably because this would be viewed as child endangerment/ neglect. Also after those surgeries, you can not just go and eat as you did before or you will rupture the area worked on.
    I think a lot would depend on factors we don't know. Was it medically ethical? At the point of surgery, yes, probably. The child would probably have died within a few more months without serious intervention. Could they have put the child in a hospice type setting and basically restricted the food. and watched every calorie, earlier on, yes.
    Being a parent and been around and talking to many parents, I know that all of us do things we should not do, either through lack or knowledge, or culture,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• or just being too worn out.
    Many still feel that we show our love through food (one way) I happen to agree but have changed my thoughts on how that is achieved.
    Dealing with a hungry 2 year old is exhausting. It goes against everything maternal. We feed the hungry and warm the cold, we ease the suffering and it physically hurts not too.
    Did they stick to the diet? It is doubtful in my mind.
    Could the child or other children in the family be sneaking food to the hungry one without the parents' knowledge, yes?
    Could it cause long term problems that will later have to be dealt with? Absolutely.
    A 2 year old's gut is much smaller than adult's.
    Would the child have died without the intervention. IMO yes.
    Medically ethical, then, would be a yes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• That would never happen in the USA. They would have taken him away from the parents. To see if some one else could get him to loose weight.

Answer by louise2 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2013

• I have heard of Prader-Willi Syndrome. There was a show called "Mystery Diagnosis" and they featured a boy, except he was older. I think he was 9 or 10. Anyway, he was eating ALL the time. His parents had to lock up the cupboards, the refrigerator, etc. He was caught eating from trash cans from behind restaurants, hiding food you name he was doing it. CPS got involved, everything. This was in the US, he got to 300 lbs I think until a doctor finally was able to pinpoint it. They did the same surgery. The kid, still ate ALL the time, but they still had to lock up the food in the house, and he had to be home schooled, and other major life changes. That sucks for the baby, and the family. He will never have a normal life until they can get meds to control that disorder.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2013