What should I charge for babbysitting a newborn?

The baby is a few weeks old and I will be watching the baby 12am...6 am (midnight shift). I have over 10 years experience and have a Bachelors degree in Early Elementary Education. Is 20 an hr too much?

butterfly884

Asked by butterfly884 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you make $20/hr babysitting a newborn I'm in the wrong line of work. I have no idea what the going rate is but that seems really high. That's $600 a week!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• $250/week tops, and that depends on what the going rate is in your area. For 6 hrs a day you would charge a flat weekly fee, not per hour. I dang sure wouldn't pay $600/week no matter what your qualifications, unless you were also cleaning my house and cooking my meals.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:27 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• We paid $15/hr for a babysitter for a 5 year old, so $20/hr for a newborn in the middle of the night seems reasonable to me.

Emily357

Answer by Emily357 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• A weekly rate. The daycare I work at charges $250 per week for full time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Look at care.com and sittercity.com for rates in your area. Rates vary by area. I get $15 for the families I do care for and it is not overnight or for a newborn. So, a little more than 15 would not be out of the question.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• $12 an hour max. You are going to be asleep most of the time anyway!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:15 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• If you are doing it every night, or 5 nights/week, you would charge a weekly rate rather than an hourly rate. Yes, $600/week is way too much. You can get an idea for your area by going to the a over mentioned sites or even the childcare section of Craigslist.

Answer by missanc at 10:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Are there any extraordinary measures you expect to have to take while watching this infant? Will the baby have medical needs? $20 an hour is insanely expensive. I don't know anyone that would pay that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2013