Doula for a planned c-section

It was brought up in my c-section group about people hiring a doula for their c-section. I think more just to sit with you during it, help with breastfeeding, maybe help with recovery, etc...

WDYT?

Personally I'm not sure if I'd hire someone because I have family close by but it does seem like it would be nice to have someone to sit with you after hubby leaves with the baby.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• Eh. I was fine. I had a planned c-sec with DD and I had a tubal at the same time. Dh left with the baby and I took a brief nap while I waited. It's hard to talk with the spinal and the air going up your nose and their was a nurse who kept checking on me. When DH would go out for dinner and I was still in the hospital the nurses were excellent to help me when I needed help. DD basically but stayed in bed with me. The hospital also had a lactation nurse come in to see me several times... I just don't think there would have been a need for me to have hired one. Maybe there are hospitals that is would be a good idea though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• You could also ask this of the labor and delivery nurses as long as you let them know beforehand. I had someone stay and hold my hand after an emotional medical proceedure once. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:55 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I see no point for a planned c-section. But, if someone wanted to hire a lactation specialist for afterward, then that would make sense.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:57 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I really don't remember much after my c-section, just our baby going to the NICU. I didn't wake up till hours later, so having anyone there would have been a waste.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:14 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• No. I had a doula for my first delivery (not a csection) and would never pay for it again. There were complications where they had to take certain measures so she was very little help. I think if a woman is educated and informed, a doula is not needed for any delivery but especially a csection.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• No, I had a baby Nurse for a few weeks staying with us after my first was born. I'd rather have someone paid like that to help with the New Baby & Breastfeeding when you are home. You have your DH/SO or other family members for delivery. The Nurses can help with Lactation & there is also a Lactation Specialist at every Hospital to help you. They'll come into your room & ask if you need help after the baby is born.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I don't see why. My daughter was a planned C-section, and she never left my side........that I remember. My sister was in nursing school at the time, and she was the first person, besides the doctors, to hold my daughter.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't hire anyone to come "sit" with me. There are nurses and volunteers who do that anyway. Lactation consultants come by to help with breastfeeding and nurses are always there to help with recovery. I guess I just don't see the point in hiring someone else. I had all the support staff I needed and some I didn't even want.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I could see having an aftercare doula at home, but not someone to sit with someone having a c-section. Just having someone to help take care of the house while you focus on healing and the baby would be nice.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• For the C-section and after(in the hospital) no. I was awake for the Csection, my son went to nursery for a little while(I sent his father with him and my mother went as well, she was in the waiting room during csection father was with me). I was in recover for about 20 mins perhaps a bit longer until I could start to feel my legs. Then back to my room and my son was brought in right away. He was with me the entire time for the next 4 days except about 2 hrs when I took a shower(after I was allowed out of bed) and a nap as my mother and his father were out buying much needed supplies(he was 3 weeks early).

The nurses and lactation specialist helped me with everything I needed and were great.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2013