I need help with this sugar cookie recipe...what should I add?

2 sticks butter, 1/2 C sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 C flour, 1 tsp water.
Last time I made it, the dough wasn't that sticky and was hard to form. And after baking, they were a little too dry. I don't have any eggs. So what should I add or add more of to fix this?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 11:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• A little more water. Add a small amount until you get the right texture of dough.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• With that much butter it should be sticky enough, maybe you measured wrong the first time?? This looks like it's meant to be a dryer or maybe crisper type cookie because of the lack of eggs. I would just measure carefully, and work it gently, possibly add a little extra water at a time if it really needs it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I'm wondering why there are no eggs? I agree with the others; add a little extra water or even a few drops of milk instead.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Here is my sugar cookie recipe I use all the time

2/3 C butter, softened
    3/4 C granulated sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt ( always optional)
    1 egg
    1tbp milk
    1tsp vanilla
    2 + C all purpose flour ( I will explain the + below)

large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med to high speed for about 30 sec or so
    Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined well and scrap sides as needed
    now beat in egg, milk, and vanilla ( now I have in the past combined all these into a sep bowl)
    now beat in 11/2 C of the flour, once you can use mixer use wooden spoon and mix remaining flour.
    Now the + flour always keep 2 C all purpose flour aside, if your batter is to sticky add 1/3 c flour until batter isn't
    real sticky and almost rolls away from the sides...
    use remaining flour on counter to make roll/cut out cookies.

foot note* I always add a litt
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• If you don't use eggs then I suggest using a bit more butter and several Tsp's of milk to keep moist...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2013