Have you ever given less then two weeks notice at a job?

I feel horrible that I am only given my job 3 day notice but I just can't pass up this opportunity. My current job I work less then 20hrs no benefits no health insurance no 401k very little vacation and did I mention less then 20hrs a week. This new job I will have orientation Thursday and start training Friday. Also with this new job 40hrs benefits health insurance. I am a single mom.I feel horrible leaving them with do little time but I just can't miss this opportunity.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• Yes. My last job actually. I gave two weeks notice but my supervisor got pissed I was leaving and sent out email notices behind my back that the next two weeks of my staff meetings and trainings were canceled. I show up to give assignments, etc to make sure all bases are covered when I leave, and no one is there!!! So I packed up my office and left. They called me for days to ask questions about what to do with this and that. I told them to call my supervisor, he must have a plan. What a jerk. And, fyi. It isn't required to give two weeks notice at a half time job. A couple of days is ok. So don't feel bad
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• No, and as much as you need this new job, most places will understand (and respect) the fact that you need to finish up 2 weeks at your current place of employment. If they aren't empathetic to that, they most likely will not be empathetic when (if) you ever have issues.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I've done it before .. Also a single mom they usually understand for the most part
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Come to think of it I have been fired from all my jobs. They gave me no notice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I have. A couple of times. Once I just walked out. I was 15 though. The other time I gave one week because the new job needed me ASAP and it was a much better opportunity .
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I did it once and it was deliberate. I had a truly crappy, high stress, low income, no respect job with the worst conditions I have ever had. I planned on leaving them for several months. It was written in my contract (that I had to BEG for - they didn't want any written trace of their employees...) that I only had to give a week's notice. Well, that's all they got. I was their top employee and had ALL the work in hand and just left them in the doodoo and felt REALLY good about it :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Yup.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Just once. Almost gave out an unexpected punch in the face too BUT instead I just wrote my one sentence resignation letter and walked out.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• No, but I was let go from a job with no notice whatsoever because I had an appendicitis attack and couldn't manage to keep myself from puking all over the floor of the lobby on my mad dash to the restroom, or mad stagger, rather. It was my first day there and the building wasn't yet familiar to me. So if circumstances ever put me in a position of needing to leave on short notice--I wouldn't do it for no reason, but would do it without guilt if I had a chance at a better job. I would have no qualms about doing it in your situation. You have an opportunity to advance your career for yourself and your child; take it. It's not like your company would give you much consideration if the situation were reversed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• While two weeks is considered a professional period of notice, it's not required. But don't ask that employer for a reference.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2013