What is your opinion on Common Core?

Pros and cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• My child is not a cookie cutter, therefore, the cookie cutter approach to education is not what I am looking for. I am also one of those parents who does not agree with standardized testing.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• when compared to the previous standards for my state Common Core (or C3 here) is above and beyond better. it focus more on the knowledge kids need to know for the "real world" and gives a more detailed description of the standards that must be met. granted, im only knowledgeable in my area (social studies) as ive read the C3 manual several times. it is called the Common Core for a reason, it is intended to make sure every child learns the same basic things in hopes of providing equal education in public schools (urban vs suburban).

its not supposed to hold back learning, but lazy teachers/admins will see it as an "all i have to do" thing. its sad. it also heavily focuses on the info on standardized tests, which is a whole other issue. i have a feeling C3 will be blamed for all the ills of public schools b/c it is new and different...even tho public schools have faced the same problems and issues for the past 30 years...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• We're in MA and our standards are already higher than CC... so we are going backwards ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• It's not very different from what was already in place for us. I have no issue with it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I hate it. I've heard complaints it's too difficult? but I'm like wtf??? My middle school kids are bored in advanced classes, never have any outside work, and are making straight As. It's like they are teaching to the lowest common denominator.

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• we had some testing last week, commom core scores were this, we are at this and the school sent a note home saying that they will make sure they implement studies that challenge our grandbaby. I felt much better once that was addressed without me even having to ask.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I see the effects of Common Core, and often the Standards laid out, in the textbooks I proofread. There's been a lot more standardization of skills like working through the writing process, notetaking, and getting ready for tests. Perhaps that's a good thing. As to how the standards are written about and implemented, I'd say it still varies vastly from book to book and teacher to teacher. Some do the minimum, some go above and beyond. Common Core won't change that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I have no thought about it one way or the other. I am of the opinion our public education system is broken and needs total transformation. I am considering home schooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• While I agree that there needs to be an across the board set of standards, I don't agree with teaching to the test. By standards I am referring to levels of reading skill, math concepts, etc., you know the good old fashioned 3R's, that we dont seem to teach anymore.  As a military family we moved multiple times during my educational years and the gaps and different standards were difficult to adjust too every two years.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 5:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• what is it?
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2013