Do you remember your first time

to drive?
I was so nervous but excited at the same time. Thank goodness we lived near a mall so I got to drive in the emptier of the lots.

luvmygrandgirl

Asked by luvmygrandgirl at 8:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Yes, growing up in NYC with so many cars it was nerve racking! I had to learn to parallel park in order to pass the test and on city streets it was not easy.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• DJ I didn't have to learn to do that, still can not to this day!
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Not really, we lived in the boonies so I always drove on my mom or dads lap, first time alone???? mmmm maybe 12-13?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Oh yes! Parallel parking was mandatory in order to get your DO at the time.
    I'm a pro at that, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Like cassie_kellison I grew up in the country and we were driving as kids on the back roads.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• i cant remember the exact first time. i know when i got my permit my mom would let me practice around the circle we lived on
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• LOL, yeah. I ran into/over some bushes.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I killed an automatic
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• My DH (my BF at the time) taught me how to drive when we were 16 in his 1982 Grand Prix. I made a left turn & forgot to use the brakes. I skid the car sideways but managed to make the turn without hitting anything. Then we were going down a huge hill & the brakes on the car failed. He pulled the emergency brake & we flew through a red light going about 65 MPH. Thank God we then had to go uphill & it slowed to a stop. We laughed! Oh to be young again! Now I think I would have a heart attack. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• I didn't have a valid license, of course, but I drove my best friend's old beater car on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere when we had just graduated high school. It went off without a hitch. Some lady rolled down her window and asked for directions to a nearby church camp, but I knew where it was and told her, and she went on her way, never knowing she'd just gotten assistance from a blind driver.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2013