Neighbor kid stole large amount of cash- what can I do?

My kids (6 and 7) were playing with my wallet in my house and took out three hundred-dollar bills. Both of my kids say that our 8 year old neighbor, who tends to boss them around, took the money, put it in her pocket, and refused to give it back. I was not home when I discovered the money missing so I texted her father right away and he said the girl told him she gave the money back. The next day at school, the girl told my daughter she left the money in the garage. I asked her father about this and he reported she claimed she "gave" the money back to my daughter in the garage. Due to the fact that she doesn't deny having had the money, and the fact that she told two different stories, along with the fact that I believe my kids would have given me the money back had they been the ones who took it, I am sure this girl has taken my money. Is there anything I can do about this?

elizaah77

Asked by elizaah77 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it was me, I would first sit my kids down, and tell them there will be hell to pay if they are lying. I would also throw in that I'm a mom; I always find out the truth. You know to kind of scare the truth out. Then if they are telling the truth, I would call the girl's father and calmly explain that I've searched high and low in the garage and the house, interrogated your children to no avail, and could he please ask his daughter one more time. Other than that, I'm not sure there is anything you can do.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• First of all why were kids playing in your purse?
    If you cant prove it you have no recourse its he said she said between little kids.

I think you have just learned a lesson tell your kids to stay out of your stuff
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Nothing you can do now but why on earth were your kids playing with your wallet???

My kids were taught at an early age that my purse, which includes my wallet, was off limits!!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• oh one last thing, why weren't you home?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• She's right though. You have absolutely no proof you had the money or that the child took it. You just have the word of kids who, in your own words, can be naughty.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Don't invite kid back. Explain to your kids that your purse is off limits. You could file a police report but I wouldn't expect to see the money again.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Hey.. you snooze, you lose. I'm not saying what happened is okay.. but keep better track of your money and who is in your house when you're not.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• you're screwed
    and your kid lost a friend

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• You're kind of a snot. Just because you don't care for the truth doesn't make it less valid.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2013

• Give it some time and the OP will be modified...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2013