Best birth control for a 16 year old?

My 16 year old has been on the pill for the past 6 months and the school nurse just told her that the pill is the least reliable methods of bc to use. The nurse suggested the implant and wonder if anyone's teen is on that or on something else? It's been 25 years since I worried about bc so I'm pretty much in the dark. We do have a gyn appt in 2 weeks to see what she says.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My 16 year old is on the nuva ring and loves it. No side effects and our dr. said it's the safest birth control on the market. When usd properly with condoms the dr. says there is almost no chance of pregnancy.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 6:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• The pill is only unreliable if the teen forgets it otherwise it's one of the best. I was on the pill at 16 and never ever forgot to take it. I never had an unplanned pregnancy either.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 6:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Best to ask your doctor. School nurses are not the best to give advice. If your DD takes the pill at the same time each day. It is good.

Answer by louise2 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My daughter uses the nuva ring. She tried and hated the pill and loves this method
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• *and her boyfriend used condoms as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• The problem I have with the pill is that it is not effective if you are taking antibiotics.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• "The problem I have with the pill is that it is not effective if you are taking antibiotics. "

Firstly, the same goes for ALL other hormonal methods of birth control (patch, implant, ring, etc).

Secondly, only very few antibiotics have actually been proved to cancel out birth control.

Thirdly, if you're on antibiotics, it isn't rocket science to use condoms for the duration ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• OR you could remember she is a child who like probably doesn't even have all her teeth in yet and that the reason she cannot legally smoke, drive, barely drive, or vote yet is because her brain is immature and incapable of making good long term choices and instead of pumping her body full of artificial hormones find the reason why she thinks at 15 and now 16 she needs to be having full on adult vaginal intercourse. And then remedy that reason, quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• The BEST? Abstinence, no reason a 16 year old needs to or should be (IMO) having sex. The most effective? Any of them as long as used correctly. But none of them except abstinence is 100%.

Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• You are your 16 year old's birth control!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2013