My son didn't come home, didn't text- nothing

It's been a long time since he's done this. He knows I worry if he doesn't at least text to say he's staying at a friend's. I'm pretty sure he has to work today, so he should be strolling in within the next couple of hours. Still, I can't shake this bad feeling. I'm trying not to worry, but today, I can't help it. I'm not sure if I will smack him upside his head, or hug him 1st when he finally does come home. Ugh!

Do your kids ever do this to you?!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Thump that boy in his head! Glad he's ok.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Yes! my son has done this several time and I go crazy just like you, but we came up with a text system where I ask him if he is ok and he will reply right away....everything will be ok mom, keep us updated....hugs...

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Yes, my sons have done this, too. He'll be OK. I agree with Older to please let us know when you hear from him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Mine still does it and it pisses me off.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• "So he is 18 are older? He doesn't have to check in with you. But then you do not have to let him live in your house either."

Nobody really cares what you think. Many adults check in with their parents regularly, whether the live with them or not. Anything out of the norm, and a parent tends to worry. Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• @ Louise: ...and you WONDER why your kids won't talk to you??

@OP: Good to hear he's ok. I'd suggest smacking him upside the back of his head while you give him a big hug. Glad to hear that you finally heard back from him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• ive done this to my mom, i honestly forget. she'll call me though and remind me that i forgot lol! have you tried calling him?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My son forgets- so if I don't hear from him - I text him to ask "what's the plan" ...he never seems to know when he leaves if he is going to be gone all night or not!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Our children were required to inform us not only of their plans, but what time they would be home. It's called courtesy, and it's a small price to pay when one considers the cost of rent. I would explain to him that if this ever happens again, he will be looking for another place to live.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Damn, I don't live anywhere close to my mom and I still call her nearly every day. I do recall one night not coming home when I went out with friends. I didn't have my car and we ended up partying at my cousin's house. Friend hooked up with the cousin and I didn't want to barge in to the room to see something I couldn't ever unsee. I was stuck with some douchey friend of cousin trying to negotiate a quickie by telling me that my long distance boyfriend at the time was probably hooking up with another chick as we spoke (DH is who he was talking about). Not the best negotiator. Needless to say, I was super pissed at friend for stranding me and told my mother everything. I was renting a room from my mother at the time, so common courtesy would have been to call. I didn't want to wake her up and I didn't have a cell phone.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2013