Crockpot question...raw turkey meatballs?

I'm going to make a new recipe in the crockpot today. It's turkey meatballs in a pineapple mango sauce. Would it be gross to put the meatballs in raw or should I cook them first?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Food & Drink

• You can put them in by themselves on high and cook them then add the sauce and turn down heat. That's how I make marinara sauce with turkey meatballs
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My mom always used to put the meatballs into the sauce raw. When she taught me how to make meatballs, she told me, Do NOT tell your aunts that I don't fry them first!" Apparently everyone else fried theirs, but Mom's were always the favorite!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• you can put them in raw, I usually sear them in a skillet first, just because they hold their shape better that way and it adds another layer of flavor, in my opinion.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I would say to go ahead and put them in raw. I put in all of my other meat raw. But searing them in a skillet makes sense.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I would at least brown them first. It's too easy to wind up with a flat meat patty at the bottom of the crockpot otherwise.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• You can put them in raw, but I always bake mine on the oven first ( I don't fry). Then put them into my sauce. Like Cassie-kellison said, they hold their shape better.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• " It's too easy to wind up with a flat meat patty at the bottom of the crockpot otherwise."

I'm going to share another of my mom's tips; the ones that become flat meat patties don't have the right balance of bread to meat. She always used a fresh loaf of French bread, softened with water before being mixed by hand with the meat. Too much bread and you'd get flat patties.

I don't have her recipe handy at the moment but gee, I"m thinking I oughta make some meatballs!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• You can put them in raw. Browning them will only change their color, I think.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• You can put them in raw. I find that meatballs sometimes get overcooked in the crockpot, so I don't cook them beforehand if they're going in there.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2013