10 American Foods that are Banned in Other Countries

Americans are slowly waking up to the sad fact that much of the food sold in the US is far inferior to the same foods sold in other nations. In fact, many of the foods you eat are BANNED in other countries.

Here, I’ll review 10 American foods that are banned elsewhere.

Seeing how the overall health of Americans is so much lower than other industrialized countries, you can’t help but wonder whether toxic foods such as these might play a role in our skyrocketing disease rates.

BANNED FOODS

#1: Farm-Raised Salmon

If you want to maximize health benefits from fish, you want to steer clear of farmed fish, particularly farmed salmon fed dangerous chemicals. Wild salmon gets its bright pinkish-red color from natural carotenoids in their diet. Farmed salmon, on the other hand, are raised on a wholly unnatural diet of grains (including genetically engineered varieties), plus a concoction of antibiotics and other drugs and chemicals not shown to be safe for humans.

This diet leaves the fish with unappetizing grayish flesh so to compensate, they’re fed synthetic astaxanthin made from petrochemicals, which has not been approved for human consumption and has well known toxicities. According to the featured article, some studies suggest it can potentially damage your eyesight. More details are available in yesterday’s article.

Where it’s banned: Australia and New Zealand

How can you tell whether a salmon is wild or farm-raised? The flesh of wild sockeye salmon is bright red, courtesy of its natural astaxanthin content. It’s also very lean, so the fat marks, those white stripes you see in the meat, are very thin. If the fish is pale pink with wide fat marks, the salmon is farmed.

Avoid Atlantic salmon, as typically salmon labeled “Atlantic Salmon” currently comes from fish farms. The two designations you want to look for are: “Alaskan salmon,” and “sockeye salmon,” as Alaskan sockeye is not allowed to be farmed. Please realize that the vast majority of all salmon sold in restaurants is farm raised.

So canned salmon labeled “Alaskan Salmon” is a good bet, and if you find sockeye salmon, it’s bound to be wild. Again, you can tell sockeye salmon from other salmon by its color; its flesh is bright red opposed to pink, courtesy of its superior astaxanthin content. Sockeye salmon actually has one of the highest concentrations of astaxanthin of any food.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Health

• Very interesting. I never thought to look for a farm raised, or wild label.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Omfg!

I eat salmon every week. I have no clue if it's farm raised. I need to talk to my fish monger.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Wild caught salmon tastes a lot bette than farm fish, too. Salmon isn't my favorite thing, but when I do eat it, I go for the good stuff.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Right now, with the dangers in the Pacific waters with the radioactivity from the nuclear plant in Japan, I'm not sure I trust Pacific salmon, either. And that saddens me because we love salmon.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• But I love Salmon. It's supposed to be good for you. This is crazy talk. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I always buy canned Alaskan salmon. The only way my DH will eat salmon if it is salmon patties.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• What are the other 9?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Never mind, I found the rest
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2013