# 2 banned

#2: Genetically Engineered Papaya

Most Hawaiian papaya is nowgenetically engineered to be resistant to ringspot virus. Mounting research now shows that animals fed genetically engineered foods, such as corn and soy, suffer a wide range of maladies, including intestinal damage, multiple-organ damagemassive tumorsbirth defects, premature death, and near complete sterility by the third generation of offspring. Unfortunately, the gigantic human lab experiment is only about 10 years old, so we are likely decades away from tabulating the human casualties.

Where it’s banned: The European Union

Unfortunately, it’s clear that the US government is not in a position to make reasonable and responsible decisions related to genetically engineered foods at this point, when you consider the fact that the Obama administration has placed former Monsanto attorney and Vice President, Michael Taylor, in charge of US food safety, and serious conflicts of interest even reign supreme within the US Supreme Court! That’s right. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is also a former Monsanto attorney, but refuses to acknowledge any conflict of interest.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Health

• I'm all for the banning of genetically engineered food
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I've never had papaya ... guess I won't be trying it any time soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I don't recall ever eating papaya. *crosses off my list of foods to try*

I disagree with the genetic tinkering/engineering/modifying that is being done to our foods. We do not know enough to know how this will affect us. Well, that's not entirely true. We are beginning to see the results of all the genetic tinkering that has been done with wheat over the last 50 years or so. It's not the same stuff our grandparents ate, and our bodies aren't handling it the same way our grandparents' bodies handled what they ate. Read Wheat Belly. Very enlightening.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Hmmm- maybe the reason the U.S. won't step up & make our food safer is all linked to this Obama Care. They want us medically dependent on them too.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2013