#9

#9: Preservatives BHA and BHT

BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) are commonly used preservatives that can be found in breakfast cereal, nut mixes, chewing gum, butter spread, meat, dehydrated potatoes, and beer, just to name a few. BHA is known to cause cancer in rats, and may be a cancer-causing agent in humans as well. In fact, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, National Toxicology Program’s 2011 Report on Carcinogens, BHA “is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” It may also trigger allergic reactions and hyperactivity, while BHT can cause organ system toxicity.

Where it’s banned: The UK doesn’t allow BHA in infant foods. BHA and BHT are also banned in parts of the European Union and Japan.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Health

• whoa
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Icky.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I haven't eliminated this one, but I'm adding it to my watch-for list. Fortunately, from the list above, it's only breakfast cereal and meat that I need to worry about, and we don't eat much cereal.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Well, they can take my cereal & my gum from my cold dead hands, just like they can take hubby's beer from his. :p Living causes cancer for Pete's sake. I'm not gonna sweat it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• aspertame causes cancer in rats too...and yet its been okay to consume for around 40 years.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2013