#10

#10: Milk and Dairy Products Laced with rBGH

Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) is the largest selling dairy animal drug in America. RBGH is a synthetic version of natural bovine somatotropin (BST), a hormone produced in cows’ pituitary glands. Monsanto developed the recombinant version from genetically engineered E. coli bacteria and markets it under the brand name “Posilac.”

It’s injected into cows to increase milk production, but it is banned in at least 30 other nations because of its dangers to human health, which include an increased risk for colorectal, prostate, and breast cancer by promoting conversion of normal tissue cells into cancerous ones. Non-organic dairy farms frequently have rBGH-injected cows that suffer at least 16 different adverse health conditions, including very high rates of mastitis that contaminate milk with pus and antibiotics.

Where it’s banned: Australia, New Zealand, Israel, EU and Canada

“According to the American Cancer Society, the increased use of antibiotics to treat this type of rBGH-induced inflammation ‘does promote the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but the extent to which these are transmitted to humans is unclear,’” the featured article states.

Many have tried to inform the public of the risks of using this hormone in dairy cows, but their attempts have been met with overwhelming opposition by the powerful dairy and pharmaceutical industries, and their government liaisons. In 1997, two Fox-affiliate investigative journalists, Jane Akre and Steve Wilson, attempted to air a program exposing the truth about the dangers of rBGH. Lawyers for Monsanto, a major advertiser with the Florida network, sent letters promising “dire consequences” if the story aired.

Despite decades of evidence about the dangers of rBGH, the FDA still maintains it’s safe for human consumption and ignores scientific evidence to the contrary. In 1999, the United Nations Safety Agency ruled unanimously not to endorse or set safety standards for rBGH milk, which has effectively resulted in an international ban on US milk.4 The Cancer Prevention Coalition, trying for years to get the use of rBGH by the dairy industry banned, resubmitted a petition to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, MD, in January 2010.5 Although the FDA stubbornly sticks to its position that milk from rBGH-treated cows is no different than milk from untreated cows, this is just plain false and is not supported by science. The only way to avoid rBGH is to look for products labeled as “rBGH-free” or “No rBGH.”

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Health

• I don't think I have ever even noticed this label on even organic food.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• If I use milk, I use hormone free. I have enough problems with my own hormones.. I dont need to add in bovine as well..:)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• they are fully versed and educated with regard to the legality of their behavior

Most major store chain brands are BGH free, Kroger and Walmart, for example, but Monsanto threw another shit fit when they tried advertising it that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Ever since I had a child, I've researched and insisted on hormone-free milk. I try to buy organic produce and meats when I can, but the BGH-free milk I insist on. A friend of mine has a daughter who started growing pubic hair before she turned six, and breasts not long after, and the endocrinologist said that although he couldn't prove it, he firmly believed it was the growth hormones in milk that had caused the problem. H said there's been a huge rise in early development, especially in little girls, during his thirty-some year career.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I buy only rBGH-free milk here, too, and I limit how much milk my kids drink, making sure they get calcium from other foods than just dairy.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Great! We drink a lot of milk. It's freakin expensive enough as it is. So now I have to worry about this too. Thanks for the info- I think :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Ever watch the documentary Food, Inc? :/
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• dont drink much milk and what little ice cream i buy is Ben and Jerrys or Talenti so no worries here.

question...all these awful things and HFCS isnt on the list? is it not banned in other countries?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2013