Spin off...Show and Tell

My dd is in first grade. They no longer have show and tell in her class. I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said her ds has still has show and tell and he's in 4th grade.

What grade did they stop show and tell for your kiddos?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 4:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids go to a academically challenging charter school. There is no show and tell... at all. D:

They do do student of the week and each kid gets one week where it is all about them. And they have a show and tell portion to that. That is for grades k-2.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• They didn't really do show and tell and D's school. They had a table where you could bring in an item each week to show off. In K it had to be related to the letter of the week and in 1st it was a theme thing. They didn't get up in front of the class and talk about their items though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• The second week of first grade my Son had to fill a paper bag with 5 things that he likes or tells a story about him. He brought in a sharks tooth he got from the Aquarium (his favorite place to visit), a toy whale shark ( like the one he sees at his favorite Museum), a picture collection of a butterfly he hatched from caterpillar, chrysalis, butterfly & a picture of him holding it before it's first flight, a picture of his family & a matchbox car in red. His favorite toy & color. I think it was really nice & actually was "academically challenging" by teaching other Children some things that may not have known existed while describing his personality in the process.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I don't think they ever really had it. They do have plenty of opportunity to get up an speak in front of each other though.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My child who is currently in the 6th grade, NEVER had show & tell. Not even in Kindergarten. They are piling on so much work on these kids at younger ages that there isn't time for fun stuff like that any more.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My kids have it at morning meeting every day, and this is for kindergarten through middle school.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My kids have never done show and tell. Ever. I remember doing it as a kid up until third grade.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Only in preschool (and then it was related to the letter of the week), but in kindergarten they had the student of the week when they could share some of their favorite things with the class.

Answer by missanc at 9:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Our previous school, it was decided by the teacher if they had it at all. One class it had to be related to the letter they were studying, some didn't have it at all.

Now they're in public school, and between the high minority population and high low income population, there is no show and tell in any class room, so kids who don't have much don't feel bad or left out. My kids don't miss it and honestly, I'm glad the don't have it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• In our school there's more "telling" than "showing." Kids do bring in special things from home (they can bring in one item a week if they want to), but most often they share news during that time in morning meeting. It's a really important part of knowing each other & community-building.
    It actually isn't called "show & tell" at our school. It's called "News & Treasures." It's voluntary, and kids either raise their hand with news to share or they bring in something they want to show (a white peacock feather they picked up at a farm, a Lego structure they made, several heart-shaped rocks they've collected, an item related to what they've been talking about at school.) Once a child brought in an old hand-cranked coffee grinder because they were reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder and in the book when they ran out of flour they used their coffee grinder to mill wheat.
    The kids share lots of pet stories for news, lol!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2013