Do you tell people when their strange habits drive you nuts?

I love my DH. I have to keep reminding myself this when he smacks his food...I feel like screaming! His mother does it, too. Also, the man talks to himself out loud dang near all day! Then he gets irritated if I ask what he's talking about. How am I supposed to know he isn't talking to me?! Lastly, I never get to go places alone, or just me and my kids. Ever. I'd occasionally like to have time to myself and not have him be obnoxious in town with my kids like he just was at the Halloween store. I can't have fun with him when he goes overboard. Yes I have PMS right now, so I'm not wanting to lash out. But these things do bother me. How do you politely tell someone their habits bug the crap out of you?

MrsDAJ720

Asked by MrsDAJ720 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I just tell them. No filter here, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 4:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My DH biting his nails, he's 35 and we've been together for 13 years, married for 8. Even our 5 year old thinks her dad bitting his nails is gross. I've been helping him trying to break that habit.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• no. everything drives a friend of mine nuts and she always told me and it made me feel self conscious around her. she hated the sound of feet rubbing on carpet, of people chewing popcorn too loud, and a few other things. my dad hums slightly when he eats and my mom gets so irritated that she practically barks at him and it makes me feel bad because i dont think he is conscious of it. i try to just ignore people's annoying habits.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Holy crap.. are we secretly married to the same person? He does the same exact things and I do tell him when he's driving me nuts.

I just had to call him out on talking with this fucked up twangy southern like accent he has picked up.. HELLLLO, we live in California, we don't talk like that! He's been doing it for a couple of months now on and off and it makes me want to scratch his eyeballs out. I'm easily irritated.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• LOL! Sounds like you need to pick your battles on what drives you nuts & what makes you feel homicidal! lol :p Getting out & about by yourself could help your mood, so why can't that happen? Why do you have to drag him AND the kids with you? Why doesn't he stay home with them & give you a break? Or better yet, send him out with the list & the kids & you stay home & catch a break.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• It's easier with my DH to tell him to knock it off than it is an acquaintance. He will talk out loud too, but It's more like he has a thought and he is thinking half of the thought, then says the other half out loud. Like dude wth. The One Big Peeve I have is that I will be cooking dinner and he comes in and eats whatever is on the stove while it's in the stove still cooking. Annoys the crap out of me
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I just tell my DH. I was taught growing up to not chew with our mouths open or smack our lips. Taught my kids the same thing. My DH use to do it. I got him to stop by keep reminding him for over 25 years not to. And the talking to himself. I would just tell hime he sound like a crazy man. And you never know if he is talking to you or his emajenary friend.

Answer by louise2 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I pretty much try to live and let live. I probably do stuff that drives others crazy anyway. It's hard when you have PMS, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• My dh doesn't really do anything that bothers me like that... He can get overly cricitcal at times, but I just tell him, and he apologizes. BUT, I am about ready to tell a co worker!!! We are required to sit at the "managers table" so I can't sit somewhere else, and this lady literally talks non stop. through every breath, every bite, she is yammering on and on. I thought I was going to lose my mind today!!! If she does it again, Im saying something. ITs crazy
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• When I have mentioned "hey I'M going to go do this," he says okay & gets his shoes. One time he was busy, & I said I'd get groceries. He got offended and asked if I didn't want him to go. We go every where together. I'm beginning to wonder if he has separation anxiety?As for the habits, this time of month I could lose it for smacking, or getting my kids hyper when its bed time. Grrr! It's embarrassing to eat in public with him. I just dont know how to be nice when I hear his dang food! Glad I'm not the only one who wants to choke their DH occasionally. Lol
    MrsDAJ720

Comment by MrsDAJ720 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2013