Sooo,we're not allowed to mention someone's race?

On Friday,it was sprinkling out as we were waiting outside of my son's school. One of his classmates came over by us with her jacket over her head. She said she couldn't get her hair wet,or it would look terrible. The teacher laughed and called her silly,and the girl said she wasn't trying to be. I said "it's true. Black hair tends to get HUGE when it gets wet" The teacher looked at me with shock on her face. How is that shock worthy? The child is black. She knows she's black,lol. So i'm not suppose to mention that she's black? The girl was not offended by my comment. She just nodded after I said it,and made a "see? I'm right" motion.
The teacher looked at me like I called her a n***er.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• People are silly. You didn't call the girl a nasty name or say anything offensive. Her race is a fact. She knows it, you know it, the teacher knows it. Tiptoing around things like that is just absurd.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• People want to get their panties in a twist over any little thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a good friend named Belinda who is black. She says... "You should call me black... I am black. I damn sure call all of you white".

She is such a hoot!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• This whole PC stuff is getting way out of hand. Yesterday I saw a fleece jacket on some lady, with an embroidery picture of a school bus. It had "child delivery specialist" written around it. I laughed, and and asked my dh what an ob/gyn would think of that!! LOL

Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I don't see anything wrong with that at all.. and yeah, it's true. That's funny.. wish you could have got a picture of the teacher's shocked face.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Maybe the teacher wasn't aware of that little fact. But yeah, she should not be giving you a dirty look for saying it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• When I talked to the kindergarten class about my guide dog the other day, one of the kids asked how I'd gotten blind. The teacher tried to tell him that "visually impaired" would be a better word, and I said no, blind was just fine. I don't know why people get offended on behalf of others, at least others who are able to speak up for themselves. Now if you had said something unkind, the teacher might have had a right or even a responsibility to intervene, but she was just being goofy under the circumstances.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I still wonder why we keep referring to people by colors.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• That's just silly...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• So many people now day are hung up on the race thing. My DH is black. He doesn't mind being called black. But a lot of white people freak out and correct me by saying. "You mean AFRICAN AMERICA".

I am white IMO,  not  European American.

Answer by louise2 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Perhaps that has more to do with the PC training she has had from school administration so as to not say something that would even have the possibility of offending someone. Soon short kids won't be able to be called short, they will be vertically challenged and will get to be in the front of the line because their little legs have to work double time to keep up with their vertically superior classmates.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2013