Wow. Ungrateful child alert

I went to my niece and nephews birthday party yesterday. They got cards from us due to the fact that the last 2 years their gifts were either called stupid and ignored or thrown (niece) or broken in minutes (nephew) and neither the kids or the parents ever said thank you or apologized for the kids' attitudes
I thought I'd seen it all. Boy,was I wrong
The little sister of my niece's friend (who is 4) made this really cute handmade card and put a $1 bill in it for her as a gift. My niece ripped it open,made the remark, 'Gawd! All she gave me was a DOLLAR?!" and threw it at her mom.
We found out a little later that the dollar was the little girl's allowance for the week....
The parents try to say that her attitude is due to her supposedly having a bipolar issue,but that's BS

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wow.. I feel like punching that kid.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Bipolar isn't a reason for rudeness, I don't believe (Not an expert) A co worker is bipolar and isn't rude. Of course, I don't live with her so it may be a different story there.

We do children a HUGE disservice when we use illness as an excuse for their poor behavior. Every child deserves to have boundaries and to know what they are. Children are inherently scared of too much power and it shows itself in bad behavior***

***That is totally my opinion.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• There's an easy fix. Kids that can't be appreciative don't get parties. Maybe that needs to happen here... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• That's horrible! I'd make this the last party I attend.

PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Wow. How awful for the little four-year-old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I don't understand letting your kid get away with stuff like that and then blaming it on a disorder. I get that some kids have more issues than most and can't always behave in an appropriate manner, but most parents work with their kids and try to correct them, not just shrug it off as if it were nothing. I feel so bad for that little girl, she gave everything she had and it was thrown in her face that it wasn't good enough. Yeah, that kid would get nothing from me until they learned some gratitude and manners.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Both of my kids have "issues" one is hearing impaired, and has had several surgeries for facial deformities, and  one has Apperger's. I would have been horrified if my kids had done that. Personally, I would have taken my child( on the spot) to another room and informed them that birthday parties are not something I had to do for them. If they could not behave, we could just have a VERY small family birthday from now on.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 6:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• That's crazy...I agree with Mrs_Prissy. Parents do their children no favors by making excuses for them.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I find it insulting to children living with mental illness, and adults, to place the blame of rudeness on the disorder. I see parents do this frequently. I understand how difficult it is to parent children who are neuro atypical but there are many kids who struggle who are not deliberately rude. I do not want to punch this child in the face. That is just sick. I do think however the parents could be more proactive in their expectations for behavior. Rehearsing how to respond to disappointing gifts is always a good idea before any gathering. I have an impulsive child who says things that can be taken as spoiled. He is not but he can say things appearing as if he might be. One way around this is we practice before a party how to act when opening gifts. We make our expectations very very very clear. We also provide code words and cues as reminders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• *Asperger's
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 6:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2013