My son who is 6 years old failed kintergarden and is now back in kintergarden

He doesnt like school but he is very smart, knows his abc and knows most his numbers and is great with math..I dont understand why he is doing so bad in school!

dragonflyez8

Asked by dragonflyez8 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You won't really know that unless and until you schedule a meeting with the teacher (last year and this year), the school counselor, and possibly the principal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• What is the school doing to find the root of the problem? What are they doing to help him? How much communication are you getting from the school?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I agree schedule an appointment and pursue this.

Being intelligent doesn't guarantee success at school. Some kids are easily distracted by everything going on, and often they will mature and grow out of this, some can be very intelligent and still have learning disabilities, and some have motivational issues

Get help from your son's teacher and administrators to help him succeed.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• insist on an eval for an IEP
    then he will get extra help and they could figure out his issues in learning

my district does not like to hold back in grades i was leaning that way for mine
    she is July b day, so young for her grade and has autism, so behind her peers
    BUT she has an IEP, and OT, Speech, Special ed, reading specialist, math help, aide for recess and aide for lunch
    So... they figure she might be always behind whether she was the youngest or the oldest

ask for evals
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I would have assumed that the school would have told you why they were keeping him in Kindergarden. If they didn't tell you why, find out.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Isn't this something you should have discussed with the school before the school year ended LAST year when they decided to hold him back?

I just don't understand not having complete communication with the school about a child's needs or performance. There's no way I'd let mine be held back if I didn't understand why it was being done.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Has he had problems with behavior at home? Have his eyes and ears been checked? Sometimes visual or hearing disabilities can make it difficult for kids to succeed in school. What about learning disabilities? What did his teacher say all of last year? What is his techer saying now? What does your son say about school when you ask him?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• I agree with bandgeek, this is something you should have discussed last year when they informed you they were holding him back. The teachers this year should be discussing these things with you. Ask to meet with the teachers and then get an eval done to check for learning disabilities or other issues.

My kids' middle school sends home a letter in the middle of the last semester informing parents of students who are at risk of summer school, or being held back. That is a cue for the parents to sit down with the teachers and discuss what to do to help the student improve their grades.

Heck, even when my dh was held back in Kindergarten, they at least told his parents why... because he was a brat and spent the day pulling pranks on kids. He just wasn't ready emotionally for Kindergarten.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• We have met with both his teachers, from last year and this year, I my self feel that maybe he needs to get his sight checked, but really even at home he has a tough time paying attention. We have to really buckle down on him to get him to pay attention to his homework. He gets it done, Im just wondering if he is having a hard time at school paying attention because of everything going on around him. I pray he doesnt have adhd, which I dont think he does because he is very alert and he is like a little adult! Im wondering if he is bored with school, and if he is, how do I get him on board with learning! I have tried numerous things, I even got him on ABCMOUSE.COM and he does Great with it!
    dragonflyez8

Comment by dragonflyez8 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Surely LAST YEAR they told you BEFORE he failed that he had issues and needed help?If not, well why didnt you ask?
    If you are so concerened why have you not asked yet this year?

I am sorry but as a parent I would not be asking at the beginning of the 2nd year in kindergarten why my child was held back.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2013