Someone I know needs a place to live, she needs money for a security deposit but I don't have the personal funds to help her and I don't really know anyone else who does either.

Where should I point her. A church? DHS? She has two children. It's a pretty messed up situation and I really need to put in my do-diligence to try and send her in the right direction for assistance. Any ideas? Thanks!

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 9:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• call 211.

I really don't know where emergency cash assistance comes from or how hard it is to get.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Id start with DHS. If they can't help, there will be flyers, brochures, and info about other social service agencies who can help her. Try the Salvation Army if there is one in your town.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Look in your phone book for Catholic Charities. You don't have to be Catholic to get help, and many of their chapters have assistance for people to get into homes. Also call the county where you live and ask for referrals to available resources.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Call 211,
    Call Cathoic Charities.
    If it is an abuse situation, they should go to a women's shelter. If they do not have a place or them to stay, they have contacts n other areas to point her too.
    I am not positive but possibly the Salvation Army.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2013

• Could you offer a place for her to stay for 1 month, until she has enough for security deposit? I also see lots of advertisements for apartments that offer no deposit, or deposit that can be tacked on to rent, one word of caution, under NO circumstance do you co-sign for her, depending on her situation, if she goes back, you will be responsible.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2013