when can baby sleep in crib? bassinet or crib?

im pregnant with our first baby and my mom is giving me the whole crib with everything it needs. now my MIL said it was bad too put a new born into a crib because of SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome). she is actually against a crib period. she wants me to get a bassinet and then a toddler bed but thats out the question. i like to have a crib plus it means a lot to my mom.

When is safe to put a baby in the crib? also i would like to know did you have a crib or bassinet.. just curious how many moms chose a bassinet

glossyblack

Asked by glossyblack at 10:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a bassinet for the first couple months. I just liked having him near me :). But he went to his crib. I miss him being in our room. So far the crib has been great, haven't had any problems with it.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 10:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i had a bassinet ( family heirloom - my mom was in it as a baby), my dd did not like it too much. She mostly slept in her vibrator chair in my room. At 6 weeks she was in a crib in her room. no problems.
    a crib is fine and safe for little ones. don't put the bumpers on, once they are moving around some, can get suffocated if they nuzzle up to the sides. You can buy a "support" thing that keeps babies from rolling over while sleeping, babies R Us has them, i can't think of exactly what they are called.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 10:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We used a Moses basket at first (didn't have the space for a bassinet). We then moved the baby to her room at 2 weeks, still in her Moses basket, but placed in her crib. We moved her to her crib at 4 mos (that's when she was to big for the basket--she is petite). I think the baby can sleep in the crib whenever you are comfortable with doing it. You can use sleep positioners if you choose. I don't like the idea of them though.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• we did basinet until he was 2m then he went into the crib.... and sids can affect anyone no matter where your child is sleeping last year a girl down the street from me... her 3m old daughter was sleeping on her chest on the couch and just never woke up.... autopsy report said it was sids.... so no matte where your child sleeps it can still happen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• This is a good time to practice the "smile and nod" manuver when dealing with your MIL.

As long as she's basically NOT a loony, just take what she says with love and do what you and your DH and your doctor decide on doing.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• haha i agree with wimsey. i have had to use that manuver several times lol

I used a bassinet for like 2 weeks, but only so that I could keep the baby right by the bed because it hurt so much getting out of bed 2-3 times a night after my c-s. He went into his crib as soon as I was feeling better and he actually sleeps best in his crib. I have bumpers on there because I have had him wake up in the morning with a big ol dent in his head cuz he slept right up against the bar. He doesnt like to snuggle, so I'm not worried about his suffocating against the bumpers. And he doesn't usually move around in his sleep so I always go in and check on him as soon as he goes to sleep because I have found him sleeping with his neck crooked or cold cuz he kicked the blanket off or something. But like I said, he sleeps best in his crib and I'm not really worried about him being in danger
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 11:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• breastfeeding and co-sleeping actually reduce the risk for sids. it is totally up to you though. we got a really nice, and expensive, bedroom set for a shower gift. i planned on using it, but as soon as dd was born co-sleeping (bed-sharing) just felt right to me. luckily, the crib we got turns into a full size bed.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I also had a family heirloom bassinet, my great grandmother, grandmother, father and I all slept there. We did that for the first 6 months and them noved her into the crib for another 5 months and now she is in the toddler bed. She would have been in the crib longer, but it got recalled and we didnt want to get another crib for just a few months, so we got the toddler bed. She loves her big girl bed!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's safe to put a baby in a crib the same day they are born.
    The only danger with a crib applies to any place a baby sleeps - loose bedding and padding. Don't put any bumper pads in the crib or use the mesh ones that enclose the entire crib sides (or even a crib tent). Don't put any pillows, blankets, or stuffed animals in anything the baby sleeps in. Use warm jammies or sleep sacks.

Overall, I'd say your MIL is just trying to make trouble.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh, and most baby books (including the ones written by the AAP) will tell you to do everything you can to keep your child in a crib until age 3. So, how safe will your 2-year-old be in a bassinett when he has long since passed the weight limits for it? Or how safe will your 1-year-old be when he can get out of his toddler bed any time he wants and go climb, play, and explore at 2am when you are sound asleep?
    Your MIL is a controling fruit cake. I have one too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2009