Consequences

How would you consequence a 2 15 yo girls going on someone's property and going into a home not lived in. There is even a no trespassing sign. I just found the video.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd let the police deal with it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Some of it would depend on their behavior (are they remorseful or defiant?) and past offenses (is this the first time they've been in serious trouble or is this a pattern?) but my kids would be grounded anywhere from 4 weeks to 9 weeks depending on factors listed above. No going anywhere but school, no friends over, no cell phone, no Internet.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Call the police like I would any other trespasser. Though I do agree with missanc as well.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I guess that partly depends on WHAT they were doing there, I mean just checking it out? Causing damage? partying?

if it were my kids they would be grounded- no friends over and no going aywhere for at least a couple weeks- more punishment for partying or destruction...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I really don't know, but the fact that they took video of it is disturbing. You would think with all of the teens getting in trouble via providing proof of their offense would sort of be a warning to others, but I guess not.

I would ground them and probably call the police. I like to say I would, but since my kids are not at that stage in life it's hard to say what I would do. They would lose privileges at my house, as well as privacy. I would probably take their door off their room so they couldn't hide things. They would have to earn it back.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• What consequence would she CARE about? Removing a door in our house means nothing as our doors stay open unless we need to corral the dog. Not having friends over would also mean nothing to mine. But if I restricted his computer and took his video games and Nerf guns, THAT would mean something to him. If I revoked his anime club participation for a while, that would mean even more to him.

Hit 'em where it hurts, you know?

Answer by gdiamante at 9:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Well, I guess if she were my daughter, the first thing would be that since she had proved she couldn't be trusted, she'd have to be watched for a while. No going out of the house, anywhere, even to the trash or the mailbox, without an adult. We did that with my stepson when he got in trouble for vandalism, and believe me, after about a day and a half, he was more than sorry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Are these girls your children?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Those two girls would not be hanging out together anymore.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2013