PTO meeting has prayer, offensive or welcome?

My child was in a private school for most of his early years. We attended the first PTO meeting in a public school. There was a woman who was invited to do the invocation. She told all of us to stand with her and pray. She prayed she was still thankful we could gather in this school and still pray to Jesus at a time when Jesus is under attack in schools. She went on and on in the name of Jesus.

Thoughts? Would you have been offended, dismissed her as silly, or welcomed this as the odd worship service it became?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• if this was a meeting without the kids, then she would have opened herself up for a friendly debate, since she opened up the topic and apparently wasn't there to discuss school related topics anyway. if kids were present, i would have just rolled my eyes and dismissed her as an idiot. i would probably remove myself from the organization as well after that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Years ago I wouldn't have cared, mainly because people weren't so insane about pushing their religious agenda. Now, however, I would have made a small scene
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I would have stood up and walked out. If I wanted to attend a sermon I would still go to church. PTO is supposed to be discussing school issues not theological ones.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• It was with kids. She was on stage. The parents who wanted to come to open house first had to sit through the PTO meeting. I was just not prepared for it. I found it quite silly and useless. While still not great, maybe short and simple. But she put politics into it. My husband up just rolled his eyes.

Really I find it destructive and alienating. But as a new comer and a parent who does not want to rock the boat I keep my mouth closed. Part of me feels guilty for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Well that's exactly what she and other Jesus worshippers expect-for you and others to keep your mouth shut. I'd bring it to the school board and ask when they would be having a Jewish prayer, a pagan blessing, or a Muslim prayer done.
    That's total bullshit and she abused her moment in the spotlight.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Was she the president or something?

Perhaps a call or comment later telling her, "That was a wonderful prayer. That part about Jesus being under attack, I feel exactly the same way about (non traditional god/goddess). It's a shame we are being forced to follow a Supreme Court ruling from 1971. Ugh, that was so long ago".

Not exactly rocking the boat while letting her know she was inappropriate?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I would've walked out, and written the principal to ask why a PTO meeting was being politicized instead of taking care of the students.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Yeah I totally get not wanting to rock the boat. I wouldn't say anything I would just excuse myself. You can always visit the restroom and come back once the preacher is done.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• You can always visit the restroom and come back once the preacher is done.

It sounds like it was a forced attendance thing to begin with. That would've bothered me, as well, at least at our school. They intentionally schedule the meetings at a time that only SAHMs can attend, then send out emails meant to make everyone who has a job feel guilty for not missing work to attend them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• "She told all of us to stand with her and pray"

At this point, I would have loudly asked "Why?" I bet you would have gotten a murmur of approval from a number of other parents.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2013