More to it...

How would you consequence your 15 yo if she and another girl have a video of them going on someone's property and going into a home not lived in?  There is even a no trespassing sign. I just found the video.When I asked her this morning she told me the story and it happened in June.  My daughter was the one filming it and the other girl didn't want to go in the abandoned house.  I am not sure if they went in BEFORE the video was taken or not. Since the girl didn't want to go in I'm not sure if I should contact the parents or not? I was thinking of contacting the police to make a point to the girls how wrong it was but then they would maybe contact the owners of the abandoned house since there is a no trespassing sign. Would u?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe I'm a pushover, but I probably wouldn't call the police unless the girls had done damage during their unauthorized visit to the abandoned house, the reason being that if the owners decided to make a criminal case out of it, the effects could be serious and long-lasting for the girls. If they'd engaged in vandalism, I'd call the police in a heartbeat, but it sounds like it was more of a stupid teenage dare kind of thing. Besides that, your daughter came clean and admitted that she was the ring leader. I still wouldn't let her poke her nose out of the house by herself, and she'd be coming straight home from school for a while, no hanging out with friends or extra activities, no phone or Internet. I would contact the parents of the other girl; they have the right to know, but also tell them your daughter talked her into the stunt. They may want to have a word with her about peer pressure.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• unelss they caused some damage, stole things, or had a party or were doing drugs or something in there, I'd just ground her for a couple weeks (no friends over- go nowhere ) and have a talk about respecting property and how trespassing is illegal.

calling the cops in my opinion would be a waste of their time and kind of pointless since this happend over 2 months ago...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I wouldn't contact the police if it were the first time my dd had done something like this. The police would contact the owner and the owner could decide to press charges. Hopefully she would just get community service, but they could send her to juvenile detention which is not a great place for a good kid.
    However, if getting in trouble is a repeat thing then juvenile detention might be where she needs to be.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I would ground her and have a better idea of what she's doing when she's not with me. I would also tell the other parents mostly because I would want them to tell me. I would not contact the police unless there was more going on than trespassing. The bright side, she owned up when questioned. The downside, she needs to make better decisions when she's out with friends!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2013