Why does my newborn sleep better after drinking from a bottle than he does after nursing?

My baby boy is 11 days old and I had been so engourged and clogged up that I just had to pump because it hurt too bad to nurse, and now that it feels ok to nurse, baby will nurse and take breast milk from a bottle. He sleeps 4 - 6 hours after taking about 2.5 to 3 oz from a bottle but only sleeps for 2 - 2.5 hours after nursing. He also tends to falls asleep after nursing or like ten minutes but not while drinking from a bottle. Any idea for suggestions?

Summergale11

Asked by Summergale11 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he's getting more to eat from the bottle & just gets tired from Nursing & trying too hard? IDK?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• You are setting yourself up for breastfeeding problems by offering a bottle so young. Now is a great time to pump and store your milk for later use. (Pump until engorgement is fixed, put into an approved breastmilk storage container such as a breastmilk bag or bottle and freeze)

Nipple confusion will hinder baby's ability to nurse from the breast.

As for the sleep factor there is no telling if that was a coincidence or if baby just slept because baby was full.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:39 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I'm not sure, but I would recommend you talking to a lactation consultant from the hospital where you gave birth, or contacting a La Leche League in your area.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Are you sure he's getting a full feeding from nursing? I would try nursing longer, if he's falling asleep jostle him awake or change his diaper and switch sides.
    It's much easier for them to drink out of a bottle, it takes less effort so he is likely drinking more. He may get tired quicker on the breast. But if he figures out the bottle is less work, he may start refusing the breast and that can cause problems.

Answer by missanc at 11:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• How long did it take you to pump? Does that number match how long a nursing session is? Congratulations by the way.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Hmm. Ok thanks girls. I thought it would be better to use the bottle to make sure he is eating enough but it does make it easier for him to only want a bottle instead of the boob.
    Summergale11

Comment by Summergale11 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I pump both sides at the same time for 25-30 mins and get about 5-6 oz total (the right boob doesn't produce as much and it's the one ice had the most pain and engorgment with). He nurses for about 10-15 mins in each side but falls asleep toward the end of the nursing session.
    Summergale11

Comment by Summergale11 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Let him nurse longer on the right boob that way it gets unclogged! Also place baby facing the clogged duct it will help get it unclogged and you will feel better :)
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• The ducts are clogged on top but since I had a c section I can't get on the floor to nurse over him..
    Summergale11

Comment by Summergale11 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Since he's not nursing as long, maybe it's a foremilk vs hindmilk thing- he gets more of the richer fattier hindmilk after you pump than when he nurses, so he stays a little fuller a little longer.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2013