I am curious if you are not married, but have a long-term SO-how do you refer to him?

If you ask a question on here do you just say DH for ease? How do you refer to him to others? My friend who has had the same SO for years calls him Dad (they don't have any kids together, I guess a pet name).

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Mate, partner, love, man slave :-)

On here it is just S/O. It works to not have to go into detail. There are so many different scenarios.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I tend to refer to mine as my partner because it's the word that suits him best (and we're married).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• in everyday conversation I call him by name. let people infer what they will.
    here i type SO because we are not married and i have made that very clear...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I call him by his name in real life. I say husband to strangers. I have a ring so its just easier.

Online, here mostly, I just say SO. Sometimes fiance.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• When I had one, I just called him by his name or that he was my boyfriend. I never said husband, because it implies something that isn't there. No, I take that back - I did claim he was my husband once, with this guy that showed up at my house and was making me extremely uncomfortable and assumed he was my husband, so I went with it - figured it was better not to to correct him.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I never called someone my husband who I wasn't actually married to.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• we were togethr for almost 5 yrs before we got married, and I referred to him mostly -just as Ryan (his name). *Sometimes as my boyfriend...but everyone pretty much knew that so...
    this was before social sites and online stuff- but I would have just called him my boyfriend if they had been around then
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I usually say boyfriend, but I don't care for that title much. It seems so high schoolish. I just haven't found anything better. "Significant other" sounds plain silly to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I refer to him by his first name.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• i mainly call him my guy, on here i'll use husband every so often. we've been together for almost 13 years and i have a ring just not the paper to go with it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2013