can I take my 16 year old daughter to court with me

My ex husband wants myself and my two daughters to leave the house when the youngest is 18 and that would mean the three of us living in a one bed flat. I paid half the mortgage and paid for the upkeep of the house. Do you think taking my 16 year old will help or hinder?

Denise888

Asked by Denise888 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• Well at18 why would they all still be living with you, they're adults.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• WHY would you subject a 16 year old child to the bickering and strife of your adult conflict?

No, don't take her.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Why was your name not put on the deed of the house when you married him? Mistake! If she wants to go then bring her. It may help.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• My name is on the deed of the house.
    Denise888

Comment by Denise888 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• If your name is on the deed then you don't have to go anywhere.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I was told by a solicitor that he had a right to do that and he can get 50% of the house even though he doesn't need the money and I do.
    Denise888

Comment by Denise888 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Is there anything in the divorce decree that states you agreed to leave the house when your children came of age?

I'm assuming by your terminology that you are not in the US where laws are likely different than where you are. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another solicitor.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• If you are on the deed then 1/2 the house belongs to you. You do NOT have to leave. If he wants his 1/2 then you have to get an appraiser & see what fair market value is for the home. Then you can either sell the home & split the difference or if you want to stay then you have to come up with 1/2 the appraised amount & buy him out or vice versa. Get YOUR OWN Lawyer BTW. Do not just believe what his Lawyer tells you. Get your own information. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I am guessing that you are not in the United States, therefor, a lot of what the ladies above are saying may not apply to you. You will have to ask your solicitor about the specifics of the house's ownership. As for your original question, you should probably avoid taking your daughter to court. She doesn't need to see her parents fight over things like this. Even though you are divorced, she needs to view her family as stable.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Wouldn't it be easier and more prudent for your husband to leave if the children are going to stay with you? He would fit comfortably into a one-bedroom place; you and your two daughters won't.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2013