Any advice for speaking in front of a crowd?

I am doing a workshop at Pagan Unity Day in Charleston November 2nd at the Danny Jones Armory (www.lowcountrycast.com). I know what topic I am going to speak about but this is my first time actually speaking in front of a crowd or doing a workshop/lecture of any kind.

Any advice or tips? And please don't tell me to picture everyone in their underwear...I want real advice on how to put myself at ease in front of a crowd. It won't be a large gathering, probably not more than 20 people.

Thanks!

DeannaAnderson

Asked by DeannaAnderson at 4:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Entertainment

• Know your subject. Make short notes, maybe on index cards or PowerPoint, depending on your presentation. Don't write down your whole speech, just have enough there to get yourself back on track in case you lose your place. Practice a little, but then just be confident that you are prepared and have fun with it. Twenty people is a small crowd, and the more you let them interact with you, the more comfortable you'll probably be. Take questions, ask for input and participation. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Practice out loud several times and also in front of a mirror.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Knowing your subject is key. When you know it well, you don't even need a script, just some "cue cards" with easy bullet points.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2013