How am I sure my water broke ?

This morning I rolled over to my other side I was very wet in between my thighs. I was too sleepy to even think that my water had broke nevertheless to get up and check. Well few hours later at work, I went to use the restroom. When I wiped it was so slimy and wet! Like to the extreme. That's when I figured my water broke. So I decided to keep a napkin on my vagina to see if I kept leaking. Sure enough, twice I saw the napkin wet in less than 20mins. I made sure it wasn't urine. I've been to the hospital twice in one week and I am really not looking forward to going again if my water hasn't broke. Can someone help please ?!?

Elizabeth C.

Asked by Elizabeth C. at 5:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Pregnancy

• If your water had broken or even had a leak it would not be slimy. It is more than likely just heavy discharge. However if you are concerned then you need to contact your OB for instructions.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Can you explain why I was very wet in between my thighs this morning?
    Elizabeth C.

Comment by Elizabeth C. (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• My water broke in the middle of the night. It wad not slimey, it was like I peed. An hour later I had contractions.

You know... I bet your doctor could tell you what's going on, dontcha think?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• When my water broke it was like a gushing flood. Call your OBGYN & get checked just to be on the safe side.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Why have these websites to ask questions when you can just call your doctor. Duh, you're right.
    Elizabeth C.

Comment by Elizabeth C. (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Seeing how you keep getting wet I'm pretty sure you sprung a leak. You will want to check with your doctor to be sure. If the water broke you need to stay at the hospital.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Amniotic fluid is not slimy. It is very viscous and can have white kind of flakes in it (vernix that starts to come off of baby's skin the closer you get to your due date). If something was wet and slimy, it's possible that part of your mucous plug has come out. Sometimes, depending on where the puncture is in the bag of waters is you can have a little leakage at a time. Usually the Dr. will want you to come to their office and they do a urine test to make sure it's not amniotic fluid. If it is and you are close enough to your due date they may just admit you and then break your water for you to progress labor.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• When my water broke, it was quite dramatic. There was no way it would have gone unnoticed. It felt like I poured out gallons. Not a wet pad, I'm talking a puddle down my legs and at my feet. I'm not sure if you are leaking or if something else is going on, but I doubt if what you described is actually a ruptured bag of waters.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• If you think there was even a small amount go to you doctor. They can take a sample and test it. Amniotic fluid will dry in a fern like pattern unlike urin or other fluids. It is possible to have a small leak, but it needs to be checked at the time so the doctor can be sure.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Sigh....

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2013