My daughter is 8 yrs old and she goes to her dads every other weekend and he and wife have a 5 year old son. They want them to share a room.

The state is iowa and she had her own room but now that they are expecting they want her room for a nursery. My daughter said she has no privacy and don't want to share. Therefore, they have her sleeping on the couch. Is there a law on her needing her own room or something I can do about this. She's never wanted to go to her dads (dont like his wife) what age can she not have to go. I live in Nebraska.

Sunshine12525

Asked by Sunshine12525 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Children share rooms all the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• With only being there 4 days a month I think it's perfectly acceptable for her to share a room.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• What they said^^

Also, she's long way from being able to have her voice heard in the courts regarding visitation. From what I've seen, that usually happens when they are teens. You probably need to make sure you're encouraging her to build a relationship with her stepmother and father.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Talk to the attorney who handled the visitation arrangements to see what can be done about her not wanting to go on the visitations, and what the age limit is on opposite sex siblings sharing a room.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• What does your custody agreement say?
    Some states have guidelines but few require a room to themselves. That is called a luxury.
    Perhaps she could share a room with the baby instead.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Actually your DD should have her own room while she's there and the new baby can share the room with it's brother or it's parents. They should have to provide her some privacy and I disagree. I think the courts will take her voice into consideration as long as it is her voice and not mommy's words coming out of her mouth.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I would just be happy that there is a father that takes his child for visits every other weekend.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Just wondering if the answers in here would be different if dd was 13 or 16.

Can they put up a wall or even a temporary wall so she can have some sort of privacy?

I don't think there is a law (you can certainly google that to see). Also, it is only every other weekend. Still, I know I would be upset about it and would want to know if on the weekends she is there, that the brother share the room with the baby. Or possibly once a month. And is this temporary? At 8 it wouldn't be as big of a deal but once she starts hitting puberty, she is going to NEED her privacy
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I see no harm. When my kids went to their dads, the only place for them to sleep was a pull out sofa and their step-brother stayed out in the living room as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• As long as they are in a safe and loving environment you shouldn't worry. They are sharing a room. I did that with my brother to when I was younger. Not really that big of a deal.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2013