Disneyland: Disabled Will No Longer Skip Lines

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Disabled-No-Longer-Skip-Lines-224810762.html

Response to the rich families who were hiring disabled people to enable them to line jump.  Good enough solution or will it still be abused?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It can't be abused when it's not available.
    Good for Disney, but everyone's going to complain because it's unfair and we can't dare expect people to wait in line.
    With how often disabilities are labeled its hard line to walk, because I know plenty of people who are capable of waiting in line as are their " disabled" kids but they don't because they have a label.

Guess it's fair for all.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• The special people will always find a way around the rules. The ordinary people with disabled kids will suffer by getting to see less of the park and do less rides if their kids don't have normal physical or emotional stamina.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I think this is a reasonable solution but I do not think it will prevent system abuse. You will never be able to make something of this nature 100% abuse proof.

our six flags allows guest with disabilities to 'skip in line'. The person with the disability is given a wrist band with their name and the date on it. You are also handed a paper with the date, the name and age of the disabled person. You have to present the wrist band and the paper to board. Only 4 people (total) can board a ride. It can be used for 'parent swap'. Such as DD and I can ride while DH waits with DS and then DH can ride alone if he wishes but I nor DD can subsequently not ride again with him. If that makes sense...I am not sure how to word it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Well, if it is still abused, the fast pass line will be just as long as the regular line.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• We were at Disney just last month, and my husband used one of their scooters. Because he had that, we were not taken to the front of lines but rather to a separate wheelchair/scooter entrance, except in the case of the Astro Blasters which is handicapped-accessible. We still waited for rides every time. In fact, the regular line moved faster than the disabled one for Pirates of the Caribbean.

It will still be abused, I'm afraid. The special passes still allow you to bypass the lines, but you have to come back an hour later to do it. That means you can go do something else in the meantime. And just as FastPass only exists for selected rides, it'll be the same for the disabled access. Star Tours will have it, and so will Indiana Jones and Space Mountain. But I don't see them doing that for Peter Pan or Pirates, neither of which have Fast Passes right now but both use an alternate entrance for disabled.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• "Such as DD and I can ride while DH waits with DS and then DH can ride alone if he wishes but I nor DD can subsequently not ride again with him. If that makes sense...I am not sure how to word it."

Yep, makes perfect sense. Parent Swap is one of the really good ideas they've come up with.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Wow I had no clue people HIRED disabled people!! WTF is wrong with people??
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2013