Homeless lady!

Ok, me and my DH where going into the Walmart parking lot. I see this female looked like she was in her 20's. Holding a sign. Saying she was homeless, and some other stuff. I stopped reading after the homeless part. She was not dressed to bad. Sweatpants and a t shirt. No worse then I have seen in Walmart . The thing I seen that I didn't understand was. How a homeless person could be fat, or over weight? My DH said, maybe she is justresonantly homeless? I said, could be. But she won't get much help looking like she is well fed. My thought is, I think of homeless as thin people. Because they can't eat regularly. So what is your thought/opinions on this?

didn't know where to put this.

Asked by louise2 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone could become homeless at anytime.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Many truly homeless people resort to eating convenience foods that are not exactly the most nutritious foods available. There are a lot of reason she may be overweight, some of which have nothing to do with eating.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I was fat and homeless. Wen you don't eat your body stores it all as fat when you finally do, not eating screws your metabolism.
    It's kind of sad that you're judging her because she's fat.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Consider this: If you have a limited cash flow, day to day, it's cheaper to eat Oreos than apples. Belly stuffers like Raman and mac and cheese will pack on the pounds. I'm not vouching for the validity of the sign because obviously I don't know, but a lot of people who live in poverty end up overweight because of the poor food choices their meager incomes force them to make.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• homeless doesn't mean starved. she could have just enough money to feed herself but not enough to pay rent or buy a house. She could very well be out on the streets or living with other people or in a shelter but eating whatever she can get with the little money she has. a lot of the time people will eat cheap food, and cheap food is fattening food. (dollar menu meals from mcdonalds and/or gas station foods) you never know! I once saw a older woman standing outside wlamart with a sign saying she will work for food. and it said she had kids. I didn't see the kids anywhere and sure she could've been lying and just looking for hand outs.. but I am not there to judge. I pulled my car over and gave her a 20 dollar gift card to walmart. I wasn't going to use it on anything important and this way she could get herself whatever she needs.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 9:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• I agree with Quinn.

My mama taugh me to give what I can.. If I have a dollar or food I give it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• A homeless person is an individual without permanent housing who may live on the streets; stay in a shelter, mission, single room occupancy facilities, abandoned building or vehicle; or in any other unstable or non-permanent situation.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• Homeless is when the person does not have a place to call their own.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• by homeless she could mean, living with a friend, transitional housing or even house hopping. The economy the way it is homeless can be so many things...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2013

• The panhandling around here is so bad that my town has started posting signs asking drivers to KEEP their spare change to discourage panhandling.

At one corner alone I've seen 5+ people holding the exact same sign. Same color, same handwriting, same stains, same spots, etc. Not all at the same time, but you get the idea.

I have a REAL hard time believing any of the signs they hold anymore. Especially since I saw a news article a few years ago about "desperate" housewives who's husbands make $60,000+ a year out holding "I'm broke and homeless" signs. Or maybe it was that they MADE $60,000+ a year panhandling. Either way, I don't usually have any spare change.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2013