The ultimate in “zero tolerance” stupidity. *SMH*

A 7th-grade student in Virginia Beach, Va., suspended from school for shooting an airsoft gun in his front yard will find out on Monday if he is expelled for the rest of the year, a local television station reported.

Khalid Caraballo, 13, and some friends were playing with airsoft guns on his front lawn as they waited for the bus one morning, WAVY first reported. Airsoft guns are non-lethal replica firearms that fire plastic pellets by way of spring-driven pistons.

A concerned neighbor called 911 to report the incident.

“He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there’s a target in a tree in his front yard,” she told the dispatcher. “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me [uncomfortable], as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun.”

Ironically, the caller’s son was playing with Khalid and Aidan in the Caraballo front yard.

Khalid and his friend Aidan, 13, were suspended for “possession, handling and use of a firearm.” The airsoft guns reportedly never made it to school property. The bus stop is reportedly 70 yards from the yard.

Aidan’s father, Tim Clark, said he doesn’t allow his son to play with the replica guns unsupervised, and the suspension lacks common sense.

“My son is my private property. He does not become the school’s property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school,” said Khalid’s mother, Solangel Caraballo, according to WAVY.

Larkspur Middle School principal Matthew Delaney issued a statement that the “children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop,” adding that one child “was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit.”

Police said no one will be charged in the case.  

“We understand that a number of juveniles possess air soft guns and have ‘airsoft gun’ wars with each other, but as it relates to the city code referenced above, they are in violation of the code if the juveniles are not exercising ‘reasonable care,’ ” the Virginia Beach Police Department said in a statement. “We want to stress to the parents of the juveniles and the operators of these type of ‘pneumatic guns’ that they need to be handled responsibly and with reasonable care to ensure that the projectile is properly contained.”

The boys had a hearing Monday afternoon to determine if they will be kicked out of their school for the entire year, the station reported.

**************************************

WTF?? This is getting out of hand

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't even understand how it is under school jurisdiction. In my opinion I wouldn't care what the "hearing" decision was..I would have my child in another school.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Oh Lord. So now kids can be expelled for supposed misdeeds that aren't even committed on school property? And what good will it do to kick a couple of young adolescents out of junior high, so that their education is disrupted and they are placed in some alternative environment where pellet guns are probably the least of their parents' worries when it comes to the vices they might pick up?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Why is the school even involved here? They were not on school property or at a school-sanctioned event when this occurred. This is severe overreach of the school. While I agree that moving the kids to another district would be ideal, it might not be feasible. Fighting this potential expulsion would be necessary in that case.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• slap         bad        

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Yet another reason I'm glad I choose to homeschool now. That is absolute bullsh*t, no school can determine whether my child should be punished for something he does IN MY YARD. Even the bus stop is iffy to me, since it's not technically school property - it's public or private property that the bus stop just happens to be set on.

The most that should have happened here was police involvement if they were breaking some kind of law or someone was getting hurt.

I want to know, though - Mom that called 911, and her kid was playing with them - if she was sooo concerned, why the hell was she on the phone calling 911 instead of going to get her kid away from the big, bad horrible gun and the big, bad horrible kid playing with?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• It didn't happen on school grounds, the school has no jurisdiction. What of all of the kids that actually have badass pictures of them holding guns? If its an issue, it's for the police to take care of. I wonder how they impose their bully policy for kids that are being harrassed by classmates electronically. I bet they tell the parents of the bullied kid that they can't do anything, that only the police can do something.

Regardless, it was pretty irresponsible to let her kids out in the front yard shooting what some people are not familiar with at each other. Especially since they can look like a deadly weapon.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I miss the old days when we could be kids.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I don't know I thought the kid getting suspending for biting a poptart into a gun shape was pretty insane. Yep we are all a little paranoid these days.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• It actually scares me a lot that my kid is going to end up as the victim of this idiocy. As much as we'd like to think we're putting the squash on the gun fanaticism with kids, boys and girls alike, we just aren't. There are plenty of TV shows that still feature weapons,an plenty of older kids willing to introduce our little ones to the subject. A couple of times, my five-year-old has pointed some toy or other at a pretend target, wanting to be like a superhero. She's not violent, she's not psychotic, she has no clue what a real gun is capable of. She's just a kid with an imagination. I've warned her that she can't talk about guns at school or play any games that involve them, and she has agreed to the rule, but she's five. Impulsive, imaginative, innocent. I won't be surprised if I get a call some day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2013

• As much as we'd like to think we're putting the squash on the gun fanaticism with kids, boys and girls alike, we just aren't

Because playing cops and robbers is fanaticism eye rolling

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2013