Is there ever a reason to limit your child's fruit intake?

i know fruit is healthy, but can your child be eating too much? well, not eating too much exactly, but filling up on that and missing out on other nutrients? for instance i made my 3 1/2 year old 2 waffles for breakfast and she only consumed about 1 of them, then she had some of my canteloupe, later an apple, and i just realized i was going to make fish sticks with pineapple for lunch, but my instincts are telling me she'll probably eat all of the pineapple and MAYBE one fish stick. she's not going to get her protein if she just eats all the fruit im assuming. so would it be best to make her eat the fish sticks first and then give her the pineapple? or as long as she makes up for her protein later (i know she'll eat the pasta im cooking for dinner) does it not matter?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Kids' Health

• A balanced diet is always better.. but the fruit is a great source of vitamins. If she overdoes it too much, she could get diarrhea.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Fruit is very good for you, but there is sugar in it. Although I would be pretty generous with it, I'd serve it separately from meals as snacks or dessert, and I would offer other healthy snack (without fruit) periodically, like peanut butter and crackers.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I had this discussion with our pedi at the last appt. She cautioned us to eat it in moderation because of the sugar.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Fruit is good for you, but it doesn't have certain nutrients that your body needs. That's why there is such an emphasis on well balanced diets with a variety of vegetables and fruit. I would probably reserve the pineapple for dessert/snack.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• welll the citirc acid in some fruits can be harsh if consumed too often, grapes are 10 calories each(I have seen parents sit a kid down with the whole bag from the store washed of course, but hey just eat until they are done- eek).

so moderation adn balance is key as everyone else has mentioned.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Treat the fruit like dessert and only serve it once she gets some of the other essentials in. It's great she loves it, but those calories and sugars do add up.

My daughter has problems eating too much acidic fruits. They will make her privates sore, and her cheeks turn bright red from the juice. We've banned her from having pineapple at school and only allow small amounts at home.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• A fructose intolerance would be one reason (I know only one person affected by this.)
    Logistics might be another reason--keeping the opportunities roughly equal or respecting the fact that the food supply's variety needs to serve other family members, too. So one person isn't going to eat all the clementines (even if it's a reasonable amount to consume) if you want to have some for others. Or financial concerns (they usually impose their own limits, just determining what/how much you can buy.) That limit might be only being able to purchase a certain amount of fruit so only a limited amount is available, or the limit could come from the parent in response to the financial situation, in saying that we want WHAT we have to supply X days of fruit servings.
    There are benefits to nutritional balance but it doesn't have to be imposed.

In your lunch scenario, I'd likely give her both in realistic portions & leave her to it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Do it this way. Give ther the other food first, like the fish stick. Then after she eats that give her the friuit. Make the fruit more of a desert.

Answer by louise2 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I suppose if your kid is diabetic, the sugar content might be a concern, or eating too much fruit and getting diarrhea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Absolutely. Though fructose (the sugar found in fruit) is natural, it actsjust like alcohol in the body in how it metabolizes and negatively affects the liver. Fructose is immediately converted to fructose-1-phosphate (F1P), depleting your liver cells of phosphates. NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) is becoming increasingly common due to high sugar and grains in the standard american diet.

Fruit can be a healthy part of a child's diet as long as they typically don't consume more than 2 servings a day AND as long as they're not eating a diet high in sugar and grains. Vegetables are a much better, healthier choice.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2014