Anyone heard of this induction procedure? OUCH!

My Friend J is 38 weeks pregnant. Due to her maternal age (almost 42) and her preeclampsia,her OB want to induce her by placing a catheter in her cervix,and using 2 balloons to dilate her. She's only 1 cm as of this morning.
Holy crap painful! Ripping your cervix open?!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Pregnancy

• had it done.... did not know what it truly meant until it was in progress. it was just me, my husband and the doc in the room when he was inflating. I screamed so loud that the charge nurse from the maternity station came in to be mean since I was terrifying patients but when she saw the procedure in progress understood. it's rarely used much because people cannot handle the pain. my husband was traumatized and an "emergency" c section happened a few hrs later
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I hope she said hell no!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Why not just do a c-section if they want they baby out so bad?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Yes. I'll take the spinal and a C-section thank you. Pitocin can fail if the cervix isn't even ripe yet.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Heard of it yes. Would I opt for it, no.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• The doctor soundslike a moron. C-section scars aren't all that noticeable, really. Sounds painfull; I hope she has a healthy baby.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• No thank you!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I was thinking about that too Ballad. Who exactly is going to see this "ugly scar"? I mean other than her husband. Is his work really that bad?? My scar barely shows and it's not like I go flashing my vagina to random people so they can see it. She needs to say NO to balloons. Unless of course they are the kind that read "Congratulations" or "It's a Boy/Girl"
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• That sounds extremely uncomfortable. I hope she delivers a healthy child soon! (No I had not heard of that method before.)
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• No! I had a baby 2 years ago & was induced. I went in the night before & they inserted Cervidil. It ripens the cervix while you sleep. Then they woke me at 7am & started the Pitocin. Had the baby in about 3 hours. I was 39 weeks. Easy as pie.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2013