I guess I'm the evil step mom

I've explained to DH that we can't afford to keep feeding his 24 yr old son that lives with us. My 5yr old daughter comes first IMO. In 3 days he's ate 24 slices of cheese, 3 big bags of tortilla chips, 5 two liters of soda, and a 2 lb block of cheese. I'm at the point I hide food from him. He will eat all of her canned foods too.

I now have no cheese for her school lunch. The store is 100 miles away and I can only go once per week.

There is no sense in him being a glutton. Dh says I sound like an evil step mom. I say he needs to get a job and buy his own food.

Am I evil for putting my child first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Relationships

• Put a lock on the fridge and pantry, tell him to get a job, and until then he can eat when you all eat. All I could think as a read this, is he constipated? I can't imagine eating that much cheese in such a short time!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Put a lock on the fridge and pantry, tell him to get a job, and until then he can eat when you all eat. All I could think as a read this, is he constipated? I can't imagine eating that much cheese in such a short time! Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats

LOL, all I was thinking about as well.  That and the fact that he won't be needing toilet paper any time soon.  Damn!

Yeah, skunk smell is a good indicator of pot.  Unless you have skunks near your house often.  Perhaps you should suggest drug testing in order to receive his block of cheese.  If he fails, no cheese and he has to find another place to live.  

Honestly though, it seems as though your DH is a bigger problem since he is allowing and enabling his son's behavior by not backing you up.  But it sounds like you already know that.  Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• He's 24... he shouldn't be mooching off anyone, he should be working and buying his own food. It doesn't help that his dad doesn't look at it this way... I agree, your 5 year old should come first. Your DH needs to realize his son is a leech.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• He's 24!!! Not 5 tell 24 yr old to get a job and be an adult buy good for the house as well! He should be more considerat to his lil sister and you!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Is he a pot head? Seriously, my ex DH was/is a big eater & originally from WI but, even he wouldn't eat that much cheese.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• No- at 24 years of age, you are not being "evil" by expecting him to contribute to the cost of his food & rent. Child support ends at the age of 18. He's at the age he should be a college graduate & self-supporting by now. I expect rent from my 22 y/o & I also label certain foods that I expect to be there for lunches I need to pack throughout the week. Hubby is enabling a lazy ass.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I wouldn't ordinarily deny anybody food in my house, but that's a hell of a lot of groceries that overgrown manchild is going through. Honestly, if your husband can't see it, then it might be time for you to leave him and his son to their own devices and take your daughter somewhere else.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• the store is 100 miles away?
    Where do you live?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• get a fridge and lock it in your room so he can't get at it if dad is going to be like that...OR take your daughter and move out.

pretty sure you were asked in another question about him if he has some issues that prevent him from moving out or working...yeah he needs some help... and dad needs to stand up to him and at least make it known he can't jsut continue eating you out of house and home like that.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• No cheese for you !!!!!!!
    What else can you do, but tolerate it until your DH gets sick of it, or Louise offers him refuge?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2013