Smithfield shareholders approve takeover

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/09/smithfield-shareholders-approve-takeover

I posted about this back when it was first proposed, it's now officially been approved.  Smithfield (Eckrich, Farmland, Armour, Cook's, Gwaltney, John Morrell, Kretschmar, Curly's, Carando, Margherita, Healthy Ones) is being sold to a Chinese corporation that has repeatedly been found negligent in food safety.  Will you still use these products?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't use them now but if I did I wouldn't use them. I was watching this story because I just knew they'd approve it.

That said, the US is negligent in food safety but not to the extent that this Chinese corporation is. It's not about providing safe food to consumers. It's about the bottom line. Even if they kill 100 people a year with crap food they'll consider that a reasonable loss. They make so much money the can easily pay any lawsuit that comes up.

It's so hard for me to shop anymore. I have to go all over the place, I only buy a day or two worth of food at a time and I pay a lot more than most. I'll take the inconvenience though because I know where everything I eat comes from
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• i stopped using them when you first mentioned it. its not too hard, i just pay a little bit more for sausage and started buying name-brand lunchables (which i dont buy often). ive never even heard of half of those companies, which makes it that much easier.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I use a few of them, but I'll be hunting up some new brands now. It's not worth the risk to me or my family.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I only recognize 3 of of those companies and they won't be missed from me. I most definitely will not buy from them!

That being said, I buy all my meat from the meat market anyways.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• I don't use any of them. My meat all comes fresh off the farm.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2013