Are there any Christian denominations...

That believe that Jesus was the soon of God, but not God incarnate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe not entire denominations, but many Christians believe Jesus was not literally God, whether they believe he was biologically/literally Son of God or merely a prophet representing that we are ALL children of God. If you research non-Trinitarianism and Unitarianism, for example, you'll find many examples of beliefs about the nature of Jesus.

I do know that Jehovah Witnesses are not Trinitarian.

I myself am also non- Trinitarian. I believe we are all children of God and that Jesus was a prophet, not literal Son of God.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• This might be able to help you.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Bandgeek, do you attend a church and, if so, what denomination?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I am sure there are.
    Other than that, I do not know, but you could google it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Wouldn't that be contradictory? How can He be the Son of God if He is not God? He had a physical body when He was on the earth, so He was incarnate.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that many Christians do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God. From the earliest days of Christianity, believing that Jesus is God has been a defining characteristic of a Christian.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• How can I be the daughter of Kathie if I am not Kathie?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• "Bandgeek, do you attend a church and, if so, what denomination?"

I attend a Unitarian Universalist church. It's no longer a Christian denomination, although it started as a merge between Unitarian and Universalist Christians (I am both) and has progressed to be open to those of all faiths.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• "I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that many Christians do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God. From the earliest days of Christianity, believing that Jesus is God has been a defining characteristic of a Christian."

Nope. The nature of Jesus was heavily debated for centuries, which is why Constantine demanded the bishops come to a decision in the Nicene Council. Although the predominate view among the bishops was NOT what is believed today, it was voted in as "orthodoxy" and all other views (there were many) were considered heretical. But strains of Christianity and types of Christians have rejected the notion for as long as Christianity has been in existence.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2013

• Not to mention that such an idea is NOT in accordance with Jewish belief and would NOT have been preached by a Jew. Such a claim would have been seen as blasphemous and heretical in its own right within the early Jewish/Christian community. It wasn't until the Hellenization of Christianity that the deification of Jesus really took off. You can see the progression of the belief in the Gospels (all written by Gentile converts), where Jesus is first adopted/coronation ("son of God" was used in coronation rituals in early Judaism and other cultures as well) and that adoption is seen as being pushed back further and further - his baptism, his birth; until he was claimed to be pre-existent and considered first creation or fully equated with God Himself. But it was NOT something that would have been original to a Jewish rabbi or sect, as Christianity first emerged. Messiah was NEVER considered divine in Jewish thought, but POLITICAL.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2013