What are some tips to teach a 1st grader how to write?

My 6 yr old, gonna be 7 in 2 weeks, in 1st grade has Journals they are to write. They are only 3 sentences long and you must include a picture. The teacher asks that parents let them do it independently. We can help with making sure its neat and we can help with punctuation, but everything else, they want the kids to do on their own. Well my son has ADHD and always had a developmental delay. He still after practicing over and over, does not know how to properly write some letters. If he doesn't know how to spell a word, he refuses to write it unless i tell him how too. We were at it for a hr to write 3 sentences and still couldn't complete it because everything he wrote was just letters put together that made no sense at all. He also puts no thought into the sentences. His topic today was..Yesterday, I....He wanted to write..Yesterday, I played cars. I played trains. I played with my dog Marley..not sure if all that is acceptable..I am really lost..I know others are more advanced them him, and I think i am expecting too much from him..however, he needs to learn these things. I have been a single mom dealing with all this alone and my patience is running so low, I don't know what else I can do to help. Any suggestions please would be so greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The ladies above have given great advice already.

I want to add that you should take a deep breath and remain as calm as possible. When you find yourself getting stressed out, take a break.

Talk to his teacher. She may have some great tips for you.

When my youngest was learning how to read, we were having a hard time. Every night he was supposed to read for 20 min but we would both get so frustrated that by the end of the 20 min we never wanted to read again. His teacher said that it was fine if we took turns reading or if 1 night I read to him and the next he read to me. We also read all kinds of different books until we found what he really enjoyed to read.

Deep breaths. Relax. This too shall pass and you will have gained valuable skills to help you with what is next.
    HUGS!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• Get him a dry erase letter board, the toy/education aisle at a dollar store will probably have them. It has the letters written in dotted lines to be traced, and he can practice going over them as many times as he wants.

As for content, that sounds about right for 1st grade. It's only September and they're there to learn, not to know it all already.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2013

• I'd not monitor it too much for content. If he wants to write about his dog, let him. It's more important he learns he can write, and have success than be overwhelmed with what to write. Then you might have to write out the words of what he wants to write, and let him copy them. Use the exact paper, and write it exactly as he should. He needs to see what it should look like. Save all you write, then when he wants to use the same word again, pull out the old paper and say, "remember you wrote THE yesterday, see ?". Have him rewrite it on the new journal. Next time he wants to write THE ask him to show you THE on the old journal entry. This should give him enough help to complete the assignment while teaching him this skill
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2013